Found A Cute, Tiny Wood Lathe, Need Id

silverhawk

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am trying to identify a new, little tiny lathe. I see no markings on it, and it really looks more like a toy. I don't think it's big enough to do anything but turning pens on it, but it was really cute :

20160705_192309.jpg

Anyone know what this is or how to identify it?

I'm thinking King-Seeley probably sold as Sears Companion or Dunlop. Do you have a picture of the front side?

I can easily grab one tonight and get it uploaded. I didn't see any tags on it. Thanks!

Yup that's a King-Seeley! There does seem to be some differences from other ones with photo's on the Vintage Machine Web Site. The handle on the tail-stock is different and the base casting appears to be different but that may just be camera angle. Take a look at the below web page, all the ones that have 103.0602 and 103.0603 model numbers should look similar. Since yours is a little different you may want to upload pictures to the Vintage Machine Shop Web Site.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=497&tab=4&sort=4&th=false&fl=Lathe, Wood

Last edited:
That little lathe will work best IF you master SLICING the wood off rather than scraping it. Will put less strain on the thinly cast bed. Requires more skill and technique,though. Your tools need to be sharpened at more ACUTE angles than scrapers.

That little lathe will work best IF you master SLICING the wood off rather than scraping it. Will put less strain on the thinly cast bed. Requires more skill and technique,though. Your tools need to be sharpened at more ACUTE angles than scrapers.

This is good to know. I am used to its big brother, which is also a 1941 Dunlap 36". They look pretty identical except for the size and no tapers, never thought about having to use a different technique. I immediately started wondering about turning a new set of tools and adapters on the South Bend.

Back