Found an Index 645

David2011

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This may be a big mistake, hoping it isn't. A single poor picture in a group of items for sale showed up on Marketplace. After a few days of thinking about it and reading up on the company and the mills it became more interesting. After contacting the seller I was told that it has an R-8 spindle taper. It's in cosmetically rough shape. The spindle and quill don't want to move but everything else is free. The factory power feed controls snap in and out of gear smartly. The motor and idler pulley spin freely with the belt tension off. The X and Y motions are smooth and not too stiff considering that it's been stored outside under a tarp for a few months. The knee elevation shaft was broken when it was moved out of the shop so that will have to be repaired or replaced. It looks like I might be able to just make a new piece for the outer end and sleeve it onto the existing shaft inside the bearing. The stuck quill and spindle are my biggest concern. As soon as I get it to the house I'll flood the spindle and quill area with Kroil and see if I can get things working there. There's an ER holder in the spindle at the moment and it's stuck as well. The price was reflected in the problems I found so if it's not salvageable it's not going to be a huge loss. There are lots of good parts on it including a really oily/dirty Yuasa 6" vise that works smoothly.

It looks like the table and slide have to come off to remove the shaft. I'm not looking forward to that but it will make me give it a good cleaning. There's a little over a half turn of backlash in the X axis but only a little in the Y axis. That really doesn't bother me, though. I probably won't use it enough to make the wear much worse. It's a hobby machine for me and I've already been retired for a few years. I volunteer on a project that's very rewarding and big on fun, restoring the deck guns and other items on the Battleship USS Texas. The travels on my round column Jet-16 are not what I need for the work on the big guns. Some of the projects include drilling new brass plates for electrical boxes and other larger flat work. A bigger mill and the ability to change the Z height without the round column issues will be a huge help.

Any and all advice is welcome!

David

Attachments

• Index 645 on FB.jpg
    Index 645 on FB.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 70
This may be a big mistake, hoping it isn't. A single poor picture in a group of items for sale showed up on Marketplace. After a few days of thinking about it and reading up on the company and the mills it became more interesting. After contacting the seller I was told that it has an R-8 spindle taper. It's in cosmetically rough shape. The spindle and quill don't want to move but everything else is free. The factory power feed controls snap in and out of gear smartly. The motor and idler pulley spin freely with the belt tension off. The X and Y motions are smooth and not too stiff considering that it's been stored outside under a tarp for a few months. The knee elevation shaft was broken when it was moved out of the shop so that will have to be repaired or replaced. It looks like I might be able to just make a new piece for the outer end and sleeve it onto the existing shaft inside the bearing. The stuck quill and spindle are my biggest concern. As soon as I get it to the house I'll flood the spindle and quill area with Kroil and see if I can get things working there. There's an ER holder in the spindle at the moment and it's stuck as well. The price was reflected in the problems I found so if it's not salvageable it's not going to be a huge loss. There are lots of good parts on it including a really oily/dirty Yuasa 6" vise that works smoothly.

It looks like the table and slide have to come off to remove the shaft. I'm not looking forward to that but it will make me give it a good cleaning. There's a little over a half turn of backlash in the X axis but only a little in the Y axis. That really doesn't bother me, though. I probably won't use it enough to make the wear much worse. It's a hobby machine for me and I've already been retired for a few years. I volunteer on a project that's very rewarding and big on fun, restoring the deck guns and other items on the Battleship USS Texas. The travels on my round column Jet-16 are not what I need for the work on the big guns. Some of the projects include drilling new brass plates for electrical boxes and other larger flat work. A bigger mill and the ability to change the Z height without the round column issues will be a huge help.

David

I have no advice to offer, but I will be following this thread if you’re planning on posting restoration progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, Index is still in business, but I wouldn't offer much money for that one- a few hundred at most
If the spindle is unusable you are in deep weeds cost-wise
Be wise, beware

I volunteer on a project that's very rewarding and big on fun, restoring the deck guns and other items on the Battleship USS Texas.

David
All advice will be withheld without more info on the USS Texas work, that's an amazing restoration project! (Kidding but, not really)

While I am not familiar with that machine. On my mill the spindle lock is in the down position for lock, Your lever appears to be in the down position.
Does the spindle turn freely?
If they hit it hard enough to break off the knee elevation shaft, there is a good chance that what shaft is there is also bent and the bearings are toast. That would take a lot to break that shaft off.
Hopefully if you are lucky, all that you have done to the spindle so far is verify that the spindle lock works??? 1700316165712.jpeg

I have run and like Index Milling Machines. If you are handy, feel like taking on a project, and the price is affordable for you, then consider it. Parts are available, but pricey, and there is good technical support. Thought about buying several different models. All of my machines each cost me under $800, not including fabricating rigging and me hauling them home. But then, I am cheap and have a lot of rework experience.

I’m not sure if I moved what I now know is the spindle lock. I used to have a Bridgeport clone and have run Enco mills. Almost everything about the Index is different. Makes me feel like I’ve never touched a mill before. The spindle doesn’t turn move vertically. I loosened the drawbar but wasn’t able to dislodge the collet chuck. It has an ER collet chuck holding the drill chuck. I’ll try Kroil and ATF/acetone to try to free it up. When the seller saw the problems he reduced the price significantly so I’m not at a big financial risk.

The Battleship: The USS Texas, BB-35, is the only remaining Dreadnought class battleship. She was designed in 1910, keel laid in 1911 and launched in 1913. The Navy accepted her in April, 1914. At the time the ship was the most technologically advanced thing in the world, with enough electric generating capacity to power a small town. In preparation for a major repair and restoration some of the deck items like nav lights and big GE searchlghts along with the guns were removed and taken to a facility in Houston for restoration. All of the 20mm Oerliko cannons, all 10 3” AA guns, eight of the 10 40mm quad Bofors mounts and all six 5” guns were moved to the facility which is called “The Warehouse“ or “the Texas Gun Factory“ by the employees and volunteers. Each gun is completely disassembled and its component parts are taken to bare metal, repaired as necessary, reassembled and painted with an epoxy primer and the correct color top coat. The goals include putting the mounts back into a condition where the visitors can elevate and train (azimuth) all guns except the 14” main guns. The agreement with the Navy precludes rotating the big guns. I guess they just don’t trust Texans with guns that big.

in addition to working on gearboxes, mechanical analog computers and other components I’ve been making screws, shafts and other small parts that can’t be bought. Making reproduction parts is lots of fun. Sometimes I have to work on original parts. That can be stressful, doing jobs like rethreading a 10 pound bronze piece that would cost a small fortune to reproduce from scratch. I have done one of those and have three more waiting as soon as I get a keyway job out of the lathe. It’s waiting on a cutting tool and took too long to dial in to take it out. The amount of bronze they used is amazing. It’s held up exposed to the elements for 110 years or more so it was the right material.

I’ll post pictures and dialogue in the projects section as soon as I get a chance.

Sounds like you're the right person to work on the Wells. Yes, lots of patience and penetrating oil for the spindle, it'll come free in due time.

More pictures please....

John

Thanks, John. I'll post some more pictures once I have the machine in my possession. It's still at the seller's location. I have to arrange for a drop down trailer and he is going to get someone that has a tractor with forks to lift it onto the trailer.

I am so jealous, working on a project like that would be amazing! I’ve been watching videos as they come out, good for you!!

Back