Franko's Rotating Photo Rig

Interesting photography setup....

Just curious... what camera did they use?

Reason I ask... I used to assist weddings and other social (and professional) events... friend is a pro.
Learned a bunch about lighting, posing, and shooting... however I found the best shots were 'candid' in the sense that catching folks 'being themselves' were the best shots.

I realize that was/is not the goal of what you designed and built... however it is fun to me, to catch folks being themselves. It is amazing, as soon as they realize the camera is pointed their way... they automatically go into the pose mode... and one cannot catch them being themselves.
OK, sorry, just rambling about fun past experiences.

Really COOL set-up you designed and built!

Thanks, John. I'm not sure but I think they hook a Nikon D-800 to it.

They are always getting new cameras. I think they have plans to switch to a Canon because of software features that works with the computer monitoring system. The software allows them to ghost a previous image so they can accurately match over time. Some of the studies go on for months. Repeatability is a key requirement for their work. That's why such elaborate camera, lighting and positioning is required.

I had a Nikon D-5200 for a while but sold it and the lenses and replaced it with a Lumix LX7.

That's quite an impressive apparatus

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, John. I'm not sure but I think they hook a Nikon D-800 to it.

They are always getting new cameras. I think they have plans to switch to a Canon because of software features that works with the computer monitoring system. The software allows them to ghost a previous image so they can accurately match over time. Some of the studies go on for months. Repeatability is a key requirement for their work. That's why such elaborate camera, lighting and positioning is required.

I had a Nikon D-5200 for a while but sold it and the lenses and replaced it with a Lumix LX7.

THX Franko.

I set up around Canon... when I quit doing pro work I upgraded to a 'pro-sumer model', currently have a Canon 7D Mk2... every year the electronics of a DSLR are a BIG jump ahead...
I think Moore's law works with cameras also.

Truly interesting setup... appreciate the thorough description.

John, I have a Power Shot Elph 330 HS that is the camera I use for most of my shots. It is my second Elph. They have remarkable glass, a dirt-simple interface, are great for traveling, a built-in automatic lens cover and take remarkably sharp photos (and video). If it had a hot shoe it would be all the camera I would ever require.

The Lumix LX7 has Leica glass and a hot shoe and is an astonishingly capable camera, but the user interface is a little too nested for my preference.

I never was satisfied with the performance of my Nikons. They just weren't sharp unless using a prime lens which I could never afford.

Back