Fraser

ranch23

Active User
Registered
I ended up with one of the small Fraser style actions from Cape Outfitters. It doesn't have a hammer. Anyone ever seen one of these. Pretty cheap but.....

I googled and found a few references that indicated that the Fraser casting kit was difficult to get to functioning properly and is best avoided. Any more to be had from where you got yours? I enjoy a good challenge.

No, it was the only one, Ill post some photos, I also have one of the Farquharson actions castings that I need to get going on soon.

It was the required project when I went to gunsmithing school. It took a great deal of hand fitting but they worked. I wish I had kept mine, or at least not misplaced it.

Sure would like to borrow a hammer from someone, I'll post on ASSRA forum.

This is a casting modeled after the Fraser manufactured in Great Britain? Hammer hidden down inside the breechblock? That one is shown in the DeHaas book "Single Shot Rifles and Actions." A capable fellow could make a hammer based on the sketch in there but would require a bit of file and fit,file and fit .Certainly would be easier if had an original hammer to copy or if somebody would trace theirs onto a piece of paper for you..You could get lucky asking around .Folks been real helpful to me the times I have asked....I'd like to see pictures of yours if you got pictures handy.

I will take some pictures and get them posted, try to do it this evening.

Alpha, couldn't seem to get rid of that last picture. I need to get started on this, have several pretty good jobs ahead of it, paying jobs. I'm working on a left hand 52 now, major action modifications, extended tang, tang safety.

Alpha, couldn't seem to get rid of that last picture. I need to get started on this, have several pretty good jobs ahead of it, paying jobs. I'm working on a left hand 52 now, major action modifications, extended tang, tang safety.

ranch23 Wow that Fraser is quite a job ahead of you..I like the way that upper tang fits to the receiver. Hope you finish it and show it here..Thanks for showing these pictures..

Back