FreeCad -> DXF -> Sendcutsend.com ?

rabler

Addlepated tinkerer
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Anyone had any luck using FreeCad's DXF exporter to create files that can be read by something like sendcutsend? I'm wondering if anyone knows of a list of do/don't to make FreeCad's dxf export work.

I was playing around with pricing to see how much it would cost to have a few complex parts laser cut. I did get one part exported to a dxf which sendcutsend could decipher (in mm). A simpler 2D part from the same design (my belt grinder design) refuses to import, "Processing took to long" or something like that. I tried a free online dxf viewer from AutoDesk to see if it could decipher the dxf file, it created some random jumble of arcs and circles. Ironically the part that did work was a portion of a complex 3D part all saved in one file, while the one that fell apart is a fairly simple 2D part. Looks like the dwg exporter is in limbo?

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm on ****ty Internet (aka HughesNet). That pretty much rules out YouTube videos, and makes Fusion360 rather challenging. Starlink deposit put in 9 months ago ...

IIRC, Freecad's exporter has an option to select which version of DXF file you want to create. I may be mixing it up with other CAD programs I use, but check to see if there is an 'options' button on the export file dialog...

I'm not at my computer with Freecad. I can check tomorrow if you don't get another answer.

Anyone had any luck using FreeCad's DXF exporter to create files that can be read by something like sendcutsend? I'm wondering if anyone knows of a list of do/don't to make FreeCad's dxf export work.

I used FreeCAD to create a steady rest for my mini-lathe. My thread for it is here.

@TomWS, My problem appeared to be that I was attempting to use the export on one sketch out of a complex body, where I should have broken the model down into separate bodies so that the part I was looking to cut was a stand alone body in FreeCad. Parts to be welded together to form a more complex shape, so I had modeled them as the complex shape in order to get the right relations, but that makes export challenging. It worked on the first sketch but not additional sketches used to form that part.

I was able to get a couple of things quoted but decided to cut/mill the parts myself, as I have the stock that I acquired at earlier/cheaper costs than today. If I had to buy the stock now it would be worth going this route so it is something I want to keep in mind for future projects.

I'm still working on learning FreeCad's nuances, and best practices.

Last edited:
Here's the full model of what I'm working on. The part I was considering having cut was a component of the dark blue main plate.full-model.jpeg

Back