Frejoth FI-900 wiring diagram

dopp creek

Registered
Registered
My neighbor was cleaning his shop (he owns a towing company) and was going to scrap this Asian lathe. He plugged it in to 110V and turned on the power switch and the chuck rotated forward to show mw that it "worked". In the process of of moving it over here it got dropped and the cast iron motor mount broke in two. I welded the mount and mounted the motor and again was able to get the motor to power on with the on/off switch.
There is no response to the Forward/off/reverse lever on the carriage. I noted that a jumper wire had been installed from the power switch to the terminal at the upper left of the control box on the side of the machine. I removed the jumper and have not been able to make power since. Without a wiring diagram I'm lost. The contactor switches on the carriage are functioning properly. So my questions are:
1) What is this lathe? From my web research it seems like they were mass produced and badged under multiple brands. If I look for parts or schematics, what would be an equivalent machine?
2) I'm after a wiring diagram for this, as well as a manual (if one exists).
3) Long-term I would like to install a quick change tool post. What model would work?

I have a long shaft from a flail mower roller that I need to weld and re-machine and the through hole on this lathe allows me to do that so I am anxious to get it working. I appreciate any and all input.

Thanks! Tim

Attachments

• 20240310_163751.jpg
    20240310_163751.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20240310_163740.jpg
    20240310_163740.jpg
    607.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20240310_163731.jpg
    20240310_163731.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 50
Hi Tim- do you have a multimeter that can measure AC 120 volts?
That lathe looks like a copy of a Jet

OK, is there some way you can indicate roughly where that jumper was? Was everything fine until you removed it?
Are you saying it went from the power switch to one terminal of the left contactor? (the two big black things at the top of the box)

Last edited:
OK, is there some way you can indicate roughly where that jumper was? Was everything fine until you removed it?
Are you saying it went from the power switch to one terminal of the left contactor? (the two big black things at the top of the box)
Mark, thanks for jumping in on this. The jumper went from the switch on the control panel lid (black device in lower left of the photo; jumper was connected to the lower lug) and the other end of the jumper wire was connected to the terminal in the very upper left of the photo (can't read the label from the photo; "1" or "T"?)

I think I need to see a better shot(s) of the box interior- I can't see the switch completely, and I need to see the contactors better,
especially the upper rows of terminals
I believe the terminal you are referring to is 1 on the upper row of the left contactor.
Have you tried putting back the jumper? Why did you remove it?

I don't see a fail-safe circuit in there- that worries me- I really need to see if there are any other contactor terminals/wires behind
the ones in the front- if this thing is depending on those two microswitches for fail-safe it's not very safe

Like so?:
Fre9a.jpeg

Last edited:
I think I need to see a better shot(s) of the box interior- I can't see the switch completely, and I need to see the contactors better,
especially the upper rows of terminals
I believe the terminal you are referring to is 1 on the upper row of the left contactor.
Have you tried putting back the jumper? Why did you remove it?

I don't see a fail-safe circuit in there- that worries me- I really need to see if there are any other contactor terminals/wires behind
the ones in the front- if this thing is depending on those two microswitches for fail-safe it's not very safe

Like so?:
View attachment 481953
I replaced the jumper(pink wire) as it was when I got it. When I turn on the main power switch, the chuck rotates forward. The carriage control does nothing (jumper or not)

Attachments

• 20240310_204749.jpg
    20240310_204749.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 19
So if I'm following you correctly, the machine is now working as it was when you purchased it, with the jumper installed.
The apron lever never has worked correctly.

What's the story with the forward/reverse microswitches? I see two in the tray and two on the machine
Is the cam mechanism adjusted correctly? (one switch actuated for forward, the other for reverse, neither one for neutral/stop)
On most apron lever machines lever down is normal/forward and lever up is reverse, but it could be configured either way

Is the motor original or a replacement?
What is that aqua-colored button on the gear cover? Jog button? Does that connect to 3 and 4 of the terminal strip?

Last edited:
Do the following test: (shut off power first)
Disconnect and tape the red wire (3) from the microswitch group. Turn on power.
Motor should now be stopped, but should run when jog button pushed.
If so then the microswitches are suspect- miswired or mistimed with the cam(s)
If the test is negative then the jog button could be shorted or a contactor is jammed up

Last edited:
Back