Friend Has A Pro Cut Mill

Pops

Active User
Registered
A friend of mine has a Pro Cut bench top milling machine he thinks he wants to sell. The model number is RL80RF311. I know that’s it’s been in his shop for several years. He hardly ever used it. His problem is he’s not sure what to ask for it. There’s a set of R8 collets and several end mills with it too. If anybody has any idea what it’s worth we would appreciate any info.
Thanks,
Barry
c473778f48f27d33d0da704ee2ab1559.jpg

a6a3ee56fdcdf5ecbf8e92822ec620c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. That’s a start. Our neck of the woods is the Houston area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what I'd want to pay for it if I didn't have a mill = $800 tops, what someone in Texas would want to sell it for = $2000.

They're pretty heavy and rigid, but if you move the head up or down (eg. to change from end mill in collet to drill in a drill chuck) you lose XY location on your part. There are some work arounds, but they're a pain in the arse. Then again, there's jack diddly in this area unless you're willing to wait months to years, so that can change the metric.

Round column milling machines (mill-drills) are pretty common and usually not very expensive. I agree with Mike, around 1k or so for the machine, more if it comes with a vise or any other accessories
The main weakness of those is the loss of x-y position when the head is raised or lowered. Some folks figure out ways around that.
-Mark

I sold one similar years ago for $800 in California. It was a Rutland, but the same thing. And the round column made me hate it.

I have an 80's vintage round column mill. I built a mechanism to prevent the head from rotating when raised and lowered. Works great and removes all of the issues that come from a non-fixed head.

It's a crap shoot. But a grand doesn't seem too greedy to me.

Pops, that is probably a Chinese clone of the Taiwanese RF-30/31. That should help you when searching for info. It looks to be in nice condition and would probably go for about $12-1500 in most markets, especially if it comes with a vise and other tooling.

Much is made about the round column issue but I haven't found it to be much of a problem. Compared to many more "modern" square column benchtop mills, this one is far more rigid and is capable of doing real work. The typical weight of this machine is in the 700-800# range so it is not a lightweight.

I paid 1500 for this one when it was three years old with a 6" vise. It had been for sale for a month, and the sellers son in law told me I was the only person who looked at it. Not sure it was a "great" deal, but I've had a lot of fun with it.

Attachments

• 44B14564-1F73-42FD-8B60-3758674C11EA.jpeg
    44B14564-1F73-42FD-8B60-3758674C11EA.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 22
Back