Frigidaire dishwasher will not start, can you help?

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
This dishwasher (Professional,Model# FPHD2491KFO) is 8 years old and was only used once a week , I'm hoping some of you might have this model or dealt with the issue I'm having:
The start button on the touchpad is supposed to light up and show "CD"(close door) but it doesn't light up or do anything,, all the other buttons light up, all except the strat, I have been on so many troubleshooting sites trying to figure out if it is the control panel/touchpad unit that's causing the problem or the actual control board.
a couple of sites advise to only replace the touchpad but I think it is actually the control board not letting the Dishwasher to start, any thoughts opinions?

Per above, also sometimes the door latch needs to be reset, in that case the door will not latch. The repair video is pretty good about possible faults, I would see if you can find a service manual which helps you take the front panel off to get to the latch mechanism.

I removed the door latch from the door, there are two micro switches ,one on each side of the latch, tried to test them the best I could, with a multimeter,( set on continuity) , they seemed to work, now I am a total novice with this kind of tests and could use some guidance on how to properly check a micro switch , still am not sure if I should only hear the beep if I press the switch?

The switches can still test good on the bench while no good in the machine. If the door does not close the switch, it is the same signal or lack of as an open door. Two options - bypass the switch to test the system at the door, or bypass at the control panel. Check the voltage, likely low voltage but DO NOT ASSUME THIS!

I just watched this video on how to test them, based on this video the switches may be faulty
The switches can still test good on the bench while no good in the machine. If the door does not close the switch, it is the same signal or lack of as an open door. Two options - bypass the switch to test the system at the door, or bypass at the control panel. Check the voltage, likely low voltage but DO NOT ASSUME THIS!
That makes sense, I'll try to bypass the switch ,it is something I can do. thanks for your help, it is getting dark now I'll try to work on it again tomorrow.

I am an old school mechanic. Back a few decades, I was SURE that ANY fault in any of these systems HAD to be the silly, weak electronics.
Fast forward a couple of decades, and the logic and evidence has delivered a verdict I cannot refute.

NEVER condemn a pcm, or bcm, or tcm (any of the electronics onboard) without completely eliminating any possible mechanical faults.
At the very bottom of Caterpillar's diagnostic tree, it says this, in a very close paraphrase-

"You are at the bottom of the tree, which says "the computer" is the fault. They RARELY die. Recheck your work, kid".

Words to wrench by, no joke......

Not to say that electronic faults don't occur, they do- but usually after a long period when capacitors dry out and die
Or, if you live in an area with a lot of lightning, things can get zapped thru the power line

I'm about to do a more proper test on the latch , both on and off the door ,I just watched a couple of videos on how to test the latch.
The more I read on the the symptoms , (and after reading the comments here), the more I'm directed towards the latch and the microswitches.
I'll let you know what I find out, thank you all for your thoughts.

Back