Full length thread socket head bolts

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have been working on a metric machine that has had a lot of standard thread bolts jammed into it over the years. I have been able to find the metric bolts I needed locally until now. The tailstock requires two 10mm x 1.50 socket head bolts with full length threads. The bolts have to be about 3" long (I know...I should state that in mm, but I'm not real familiar with metric). I've tried all the suppliers I can think of but they don't offer full threaded socket head bolts. These bolts are for the lateral adjustment of the tailstock. I could get theaded rod and mill a slot in the end, but I would rather have the socket head. Anyone know of a supplier? Thanks

Chuck

That's going to be a special. Hard if not impossible to find. M10-1.5 x 75mm is what you are looking for. Std thread length is going to be about 25-30mm at best.

That's about what I've come up with. The socket head would be the right way to do it, but I can get by with threaded rod. The tailstock actually has bolts front and back that go up through the base of the tailstock to the main housing to lock it in place after it's adjusted. As long as I take it easy on the adjusting screws I should be ok. I actually had to cut the ends of the original bolts out because they had been torqued in hard enough to bend the ends to the side. Not to mention the fact that they were 3/8-16 bolts.

Chuck

I needed some long (4" or so) ones for the turret stop adjusters on my lathe turret. Not finding any, I settled for threaded rod, onto which I stuck some Allen nuts. I don't recall now whether I soldered or "Loctited" them, but they worked a treat.

Just type "Allen nuts" into the search box at McMaster-Carr

.... The tailstock requires two 10mm x 1.50 socket head bolts with full length threads. ....

Chuck, try specifying machine set screw with your supplier. They tend to be threaded all the way.
Although as others have said, thats probably going to be a special.

Cheers Phil

Weld a properly sized 6 point socket backwards on to your all thread?

Or just weld a shorty socket head bolt to your all thread.

Bolt depot has socket head 10x1.5 mm setscrews up to 60mm long.

Thanks guys. I ordered some threaded rod from macmaster carr today....should be on my doorstep tomorrow. I'll probably do like was suggested and just cut the top off the short bolts and weld them to the rod. Slotted ends just seem weak.

Chuck

Back