Full length thread socket head bolts

Chuck,
For your application, lateral tailstock adjustment, slotted screws would be fine. Alternatively you could file/machine them square, ala toolpost style.
Rather than just welding the short bolts to the all thread, I would be drilling and turning a female and male part to suit and fitting them neatly together. Pinned and or soldered.

Cheers Phil

Chuck,
For your application, lateral tailstock adjustment, slotted screws would be fine. Alternatively you could file/machine them square, ala toolpost style.
Rather than just welding the short bolts to the all thread, I would be drilling and turning a female and male part to suit and fitting them neatly together. Pinned and or soldered.

Cheers Phil

Phil, You obviously underestimate just how anal I can be. :)) I parted the rod to length, turned a shoulder on the end, parted the head off the bolt, bored a recess in it so it would fit the shoulder of the rod. I held it between the jaws of a vice and tig welded the head to the rod. Then back to the lathe to clean up the weld.....Yes, I'm sick!

Chuck

Many years ago,I knew an old machinist who taught me valuable things. He was retired,but in the early 60's made himself an EXTRA $300.00 a week with his 10" South Bend lathe. He threaded long allen socket head cap screws all the way up. Then,he drilled a hole in them and put in a nylon plug to stop them working loose!! That was good money back then. He made them by the 5 gallon buckets full.

Many years ago,I knew an old machinist who taught me valuable things. He was retired,but in the early 60's made himself an EXTRA $300.00 a week with his 10" South Bend lathe. He threaded long allen socket head cap screws all the way up. Then,he drilled a hole in them and put in a nylon plug to stop them working loose!! That was good money back then. He made them by the 5 gallon buckets full.

I like the nylon plug idea. I'll try to remember that. I had considered threading a long socket head bolt to the head, but the only lathe I have that is capable of making metric threads is the one I'm working on. I haven't run it enough to even begin to figure out the settings for standard pitches, much less which gears I need to have on it for metric.

Chuck

Back