Fun engine hoist project

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
I know.....I should have taken a picture.

I needed to bore out the axle holes in the legs from 1/2" to 5/8". The end of the leg is a U shape 3" wide to accommodate the wheel. The hole locations were not perpendicular or parallel to any particular reference point. They weren't crazy off but just running a drill bit through both holes would not result in a wheel that is straight up and down....

I lined up the square tubing leg in the vice with the wheel u channel basically aligned flat to the table. The end of the leg is angled to align the wheel to the direction of travel so it had to sit tilted in the vise.

I used a half inch pin to check alignment on both holes and average out the difference in location.

The challenge comes because the lower hole is 3" below the top hole. Running a drill through the holes doesn't work because the drill would follow the hole instead of relocating them both to the same position. The absolute position is not critical but parallel to the ground was my main concern.

I decided to use an annular cutter to cut the top hole. Then I used a boring head and 1/2 solid carbide boring bar through the 5/8" hole to bore the bottom hole. It was a crazy reach but it did great.

How would you have done it? Flipping the part would be problematic because the angle and lack of accurate reference points to register the location of the holes.

Eta:
20230708_065144.jpg

20230708_065116.jpg

Last edited:
Did you use a drill press or a mill? I would probably have used my horizontal mill with a boring bar in the spindle
Your description is a bit hard to follow- the wheel brackets are part of the leg? Not unboltable?

Did you use a drill press or a mill? I would probably have used my horizontal mill with a boring bar in the spindle
Your description is a bit hard to follow- the wheel brackets are part of the leg? Not unboltable?
The wheel is in the U channel with a single bolt going through the U with the wheel inside the U.

I like to use one of my home-made boring bars with an adjustable HSS tool bit for things like this on the mill. Or an Everede boring bar. If extra clearance is needed for the tool path, then possibly use a die grinder with a rotary burr to rough the hole out.

I bought new casters that should arrive on Monday but I won't be home....lol! This thing will roll like glass on rough concrete. ;)

Back