• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Some users may still have issues remaining logged into the forum. Please delete old bookmarks. If you are still having issues, go to the Site Issues forum here and let us know EXACTLY what you clicked on before the login issue arose, so we can try to track it down. We are working on this, and appreciate your patience. Thank you.

[4]

Fun With Wood, Reclaimed 2x4 projects

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I got a whole bunch of 2x4x36" and 2x4x38" that were going to be dumped.
i thought that this was a heinous waste of resources.
i decided to find ways to repurpose the wood.
here is the story of the projects that will come from the resources.

here is the pile of wood

IMG_2799.JPG

for the first project,
i started resawing the 2x4" into 3/4" x 3/4"x 36"slats and 3/4"x1-1/2"x 18"supports with my ryobi 10" contractor saw

IMG_2802_1.JPG FullSizeRender_1_4.jpg FullSizeRender_4.jpg

i used a crown stapler and eyeballed square and started installing the slats, using a spare slat for spacing and baddabing,
i now have a swarf catching reclaimed wood doormat!!!

FullSizeRender_2_2.jpg
and now it sits in front of my garage(shop) door, leading into the house.

FullSizeRender_3_1.jpg

now the little woman will not have to clean up as much swarf in the house!

Last edited:

mikey

Active User
Great project, Mike. I like the re-purposing idea for a limited resource. I don't know about you but my wife says that if I make a mess, I get to clean it!

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Great project, Mike. I like the re-purposing idea for a limited resource. I don't know about you but my wife says that if I make a mess, I get to clean it!
thanks Mikey!
i'm the luckiest guy on the planet, she doesn't give me any crap for messing things up. :grin:
i'm sure she doesn't like it, but she has never complained.
i do try to be mindful.
i figured an hour of work on something like this, may save her some time to do other things.

rgray

Active User
I don't know about you but my wife says that if I make a mess, I get to clean it!
I get that same treatment.
One night she got a painful sliver in her heal. I of course had to play Dr. It was a curl of swarf that had curled into her heal. Not knowing this pulling on it with tweezers was not working, just making her howl a lot.
I finally figured out that it was a curl and twisted it out (to many screams).
When she finally caught her breath she says "what was it"....A wood sliver I say....don't know how you got that!

Nice job on the door mat Ulma....hope she doesn't go barefoot and get a sliver.LOL

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
I get that same treatment.
One night she got a painful sliver in her heal. I of course had to play Dr. It was a curl of swarf that had curled into her heal. Not knowing this pulling on it with tweezers was not working, just making her howl a lot.
I finally figured out that it was a curl and twisted it out (to many screams).
When she finally caught her breath she says "what was it"....A wood sliver I say....don't know how you got that!
Nice job on the door mat Ulma....hope she doesn't go barefoot and get a sliver.LOL
Thank you rgray!
you are brilliant!, i'm gonna keep the wood sliver idea in my back pocket :eagerness:

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
well i got an itch to make something for my son.
i took one of the 2x4's i reclaimed and made him a toy that i made from a quick design

the Tracks,
IMG_2865.JPG IMG_2866.JPG
IMG_2867.JPG

the Hull
IMG_2868.JPG IMG_2869.JPG

the Turret and Barrel
IMG_2870.JPG

Pre-assembly
IMG_2871.JPG

and the assembled work
IMG_2872.JPG

and after inspection and finish sanding by my supervisor, he went off to play!

FullSizeRender_6.jpg

a very simple and fun project from something that was going to be thrown away.

thanks for reading!

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Well i was at it again today.
for the project des jours, i made a DVD/Video game rack that can likely hold 300 or more dvd's, etc

i started with 3- 43" 2x4's, and ripped them 3/4" thickness x 4" (nominal) wide, and gang cut them to 42",
i then fed them through the planer and took an 1/8" off , to clean up the saw marks
i took 2- 43" 2x4's, and resawed them to 3/4" square , giving me 16 pieces
i cut 14 of the 3/4" pieces to 41-1/4" length.
i cut the remaining 3/4" pieces into 10, 7-1/4" cleats for supports for the horizontal members
i cut a top from some reclaimed oak plywood and slanted the top slightly , (my Blue Ray player has an idiosyncrasy with the remote control angle so rather than prop up the blue ray, i slanted the top 3* to compensate with a wedge in the rear under the top)
i smacked it all together with half a million 1/4"x 1-1/2" crown staples
i the used a router to relieve the edges with a 3/8" carbide roundover bit
i gave it a twice over with 150 grit sanding sponges.

i'm considering a white wash finish, but i like the look of natural wood.
Whaddya think???

IMG_2521.jpg IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

thanks for looking!

markba633csi

It's amazing how much lumber gets wasted. My company was next door to a new Hitachi office, they uncrated some machines and threw several large 2x4s in the dumpster- It's holding up my workbenches now. Even the Japanese are wasteful sometimes.
Mark

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
It's amazing how much lumber gets wasted. My company was next door to a new Hitachi office, they uncrated some machines and threw several large 2x4s in the dumpster- It's holding up my workbenches now. Even the Japanese are wasteful sometimes.
Mark
Hi Mark, thanks for looking.
i agree it's a shame how many things end up in landfills because of our society has a throw it away mentality. :confusion:
maybe we can't recycle everything, but we should make the attempt for what we can save.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Mike, you're having entirely too much fun with the woodworking projects. I fear that you are being pulled over to the dark side!:eek 2:
BTW nice work!
Thank you very much RJ.
i'm tempted by the dark side, but my true love is metal :grin:
Mike
Your going to be a master carpenter yet.
thank you, you are waay too kind
i think i have a long bumpy road ahead to call myself a master or anything :grin big:

Tozguy

Active User
Doc, just an idea if you have a few slats left over. Adding some strips like these to the bottom of your contractor saw will make it easier to install/remove from the Workmate. The jaws of the Workmate when fully open will hold tight in the wood strips, no need for clamps.
The saw is still stable when used on other surfaces.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Doc, just an idea if you have a few slats left over. Adding some strips like these to the bottom of your contractor saw will make it easier to install/remove from the Shopmate. The jaws of the Shopmate when fully open will hold tight in the wood strips, no need for clamps.
The saw is still stable when used on other surfaces.
that's one hellva idea, i'll be stealing the idea very soon, thanks :grin:

middle.road

Actively Learning...
I gotta get back to wood working...
Great that you're able to score the materials and then actually do something with them.
I've got the garden/mower shed crammed to the rafters and then under the back porch is chocked full...

[6]
[5] [7]