Fun with zucchini

I'm having Hubbard squash for breakfast! That pickup load of squashes got shuffled around my homestead
and to some friends who would appreciate them. I have about five big ones in the basement plus a bunch
in my new shop for storage. Yesterday I noticed one was starting to mold and get soft on one end so cut
it up(about 35 pounds I think), froze some and made a huge kettle of soup with the rest. I add salt, pepper, peppercorns,
oregano, garlic, cumin, whole milk, and a bit of avacado oil. An immersion blender is used to puree the cubed squash
pieces. More than likely it will be on the menu for lunch too!:)

For a little variation, I will add some jalapeno peppers that were canned in pints when they were in season.
:fireman:

While my Zucchini are long gone, we still have Pumpkins left.
Been cutting them in half & putting them in the pasture.
The chickens & sheep love eating those as well.

The gardening is beginning to pay off so far with raspberries and several zucchini and onions. It has been
really dry up here so have to haul water most every day. It won't be long and there will be
tomatoes, beets, green beans, cucumbers, peppers, watermelon, cantaloupe, pumpkins and several squash
varieties. It's more than I can eat so can some vegetables and give a lot of it away.

P1030216.JPGIt's somewhat of a hallmark day as today is the first day I can eat an organic breakfast out of the garden.
The haulmark day will be in September when I harvest the squash and pumpkins.:grin:

If you want to feel even better about your garden,just walk through the produce section of the supper market and check out the prices. Not to mention that your vegetables probably taste better too..

P1030232.JPG

Today I am pressure canning some cherry tomatoes fresh from the garden. The canner is an old time system from
somewhere in the WWII days by the looks of it. The burner holds at least two gallons of gasoline and the tank is
pressurized to 32 psi using a hand pump. It makes a pretty hot fire with the cast iron grid on the top of it glowing a
dull red. Anyhow I thought it might be interesting to someone. There are no jar lids to be found in these parts so
am reusing some from last year.

It's VERY dry up here in northern Minnesota with an extreme fire danger and not even camp fires allowed at present.
There has been no rain for over a month so the garden is pretty dry. I'm expecting a good squash, pumpkin, and
sweet corn harvest so happy to have a garden with clay soil that has held the moisture as well as it has. The garden has
seen just a little over a half inch of rain all summer. Tonight we are supposed to get some thunder storm activity with
some rain so hoping for the best.

I don't do much machining in the summertime with other things going on. Thanks for reading along.

CATHEAD @ CATWERKS

Equally dry here -- no rain to speak of since the middle of June. Many very bad fires throughout the interior this year, but so far few on the Island although one has started just a bit up-Island over the last day or two. I've had a good crop of beets and scallions so far with the second planting already three weeks in. Here's a picture my little micro-plot in earlier days this year..

garden1.jpg

Back