Fun with zucchini

Someone broke into my truck yesterday.
What did they take you ask?
NOTHING
BUT the hoodlums left zucchini in my truck. The horror...

The best gardens are someone else's. I have been raiding my son's garden this year. The fresh vegetables are hard to beat. Will trade half a day weeding for vegetables any day. Had a good laugh the first year he planted about ten zucchini plants. All the work that goes into a garden makes one appreciate the fresh vegetables we all take for granted
Kinda like the best boat, right?

I had a disused patch of weeds in front of the house that was only good for parking my truck on. When the virus hit it gave me a little nudge to do something so I built raised beds and planted. I have a drip system so once everything was established it takes very little work to maintain. One bonus is it inspired at least two of my neighbors to fix up their yards and plant food too. Since everyone needs to eat gardening is a great hobby and one you can get better at with age, kinda like hobby machining :encourage:

John

Fun with zucchini ?

I thought this was going to be a xxx rated thread ! :( :grin: ( or at the least ...........NSFW )

It's going to freeze here tonight! Several pickup loads of winter squash were harvested today
along with a wheelbarrow of potatoes. Most of these squash are Hubbards, an excellent winter
squash. Today I made a batch of soup and it was excellent. Also there are a bunch of Kubocha
squash, an excellent winter squash too!P1020839.JPG
These are some large winter squash, some up to 70 pounds.

Planted a few zucch's this year, after a few meals my wife won't look at the stuff anymore. They tend to grow and hide under the leaves until they turn into small baseball bats overnight. Been giving them away to friends or to our vet who feeds them to his tortoises. They consider it a treat, yummy. Not planning on planting any next year.

I usually give my surplus vegs to the Senior Citizens, but with the Covid our senior center is closed so this year I inflicted them on my neighbors. None seemed to mind, and a couple tried to pay me.

My wife has been donating garden produce to various food pantries in the area for a number of years now. She is planning her last delivery this coming weekend which will bring this year's total to around 800 lbs. Now that we are retired and on a fixed income, it is one way to still make a meaningful contribution to the community.

I usually give my surplus vegs to the Senior Citizens, but with the Covid our senior center is closed so this year I inflicted them on my neighbors. None seemed to mind, and a couple tried to pay me.

Wait.... you mean they tried to PAY you for zucchini? Better keep an eye on those neighbors because they are obviously "troubled" in some sort of way!

This was a cucumber year, I've never had such a crop, they had a lot of help from the neighbor's bees.

Back