Function of bandsaw fence???

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
This may be a silly question but here goes. I have owned several vertical bandsaws and they always come with a vertically oriented cylinder attached to the rip fence. I have never found a use for this! What is the proper function and use of this device?

1515859416062.png

I suppose it is just test stock ;)

Robert

Whenever I set up a bandsaw for a straight dimension cut I use a contact point a set distance from the blade. A full fence on a bandsaw, unless a wide blade, is ineffective due to blade flex. A contact point alligned with the blade allows for the piece being cut from to be moved while cutting to maintain the desired cut off dimension. My assumption is the cylinder is used as that contact point and the fence locks it in place. Again this is an "assumption".
dd

Allows you to steer the cut. The blade rarely cuts perfectly parallel to the fence and will drift unless it is perfectly setup.

I think you mostly see that on a saw intended for woodworking.

really useful in woodworking for cutting a desired size. I don't use it. I set my fence for the drift of the blade so I get a perfect cut, I could never cut veneer accurately with a point. This is not something that one would use for metal cutting.

I understand the logic of the point-guide, but I use the rip fence 100% for cutting balsa to size, fractional size, nothing critical. I start with stock about 3" by 5" by length, to make propellers from, rip it down (forinstance) to 3/4 by 1 1/8 by 8".

Allows you to steer the cut. The blade rarely cuts perfectly parallel to the fence and will drift unless it is perfectly setup.

... and a perfect blade.

I understand the logic of the point-guide, but I use the rip fence 100% for cutting balsa to size, fractional size, nothing critical. I start with stock about 3" by 5" by length, to make propellers from, rip it down (forinstance) to 3/4 by 1 1/8 by 8".
Balsa for propellers? We talking rubber powered? Balsa cored Carbon props?

Cylinder fences are most commonly used on re-saws. When re- sawing thick stock into thinner pieces it may be necessary to guide it out of square with the fence to get the cut straight.

We talking rubber powered?

Absolutely, I have a machine to make them, that I can change the pitch of the prop, 6p to 26p, diameter, 6 to 17". When the customer gets them he has to carve/sand the airfoil. I don't know about carbon or its use, though I have seen props with carbon filaments glued from end to end. I also make Old Timer Folding props, from 13 to 26 inches, hinge applied and threaded.
Google Volaré Products. Find Superior Props.

As nerf said they're meant for resawing wood. The wood will often warp as tension is relieved. If the part against the fence curves out from the cut you get a gap between the wood and the fence at the blade, hence a thinner than wanted section. With the vertical cylinder you can guide the board along and let the end go where ever it wants.

Greg

Back