Funny Snafu With My Pm-1340gt

AirWolf

Registered
Registered
Although I have had my lathe up and running for a month or so - just noticed today the rather odd numbering snafu on the handwheel dial... maybe the engraver operator had a hick-up or sneezed? o_O Anyone else have one like this?

IMG_5849.JPG

Install a DRO and you will never look at that again. Or call Matt he should send you a new dial.

A bit off topic, but why didn't they use a lead screw that would have 100 graduations per revolution? And why do the graduations not add up between the stamped markings? How do you get 10 graduations between .48 and .56? I have no idea what brand of mill it is or where it was made, but that dial tells me it is a POS!

No, it is NOT a POS... It's a VERY NICE PM-1340GT - as clearly stated in the heading of the thread.
It's just a simple snafu dude... and if you take a minute and look at the graduations - they are .004 each... some very basic math IF you use the correct .48... and not the second "mistake" one.

No, it is NOT a POS... It's a VERY NICE PM-1340GT - as clearly stated in the heading of the thread.
It's just a simple snafu dude... and if you take a minute and look at the graduations - they are .004 each... some very basic math IF you use the correct .48... and not the second "mistake" one.
I take back the POS statement, AirWolf. Uncalled for and I apologize sincerely. I actually know nothing about that machine beyond the picture of the dial you have posted. Still, why would one revolution be .58 of whatever units they are supposed to indicate? Is there some usefulness to that? Dial up 2.424 units for me real quick...

OK, I have figured out that you have a 13x40 lathe, and that is the carriage hand wheel in the pic. I get it, and I feel some deja vu coming on. I have a Kent KLS-1340A (13x40") lathe with a carriage hand wheel which reads 55 units of .005" per revolution, along with a metric dial as well that does not come out to anything useful at all. When I first saw that on my lathe I said "What a POS!" Good enough words for that design on my lathe...

Now I have a magnetic back long travel dial indicator indicating the carriage movement so I can get some useful idea of how far I am moving the carriage. Sure can't figure it out from the hand wheel dials...

I take back the POS statement, AirWolf. Uncalled for and I apologize sincerely. I actually know nothing about that machine beyond the picture of the dial you have posted. Still, why would one revolution be .58 of whatever units they are supposed to indicate? Is there some usefulness to that? Dial up 2.424 units for me real quick...
This is the carriage feed, they are usually something odd in terms of distance per revolution.
It actually moves 0.600" per revolution, not 0.58". So 2.424" would just be 4 turns + 6 ticks.
The pic does not show that the minor ticks are 0.004", and 0.020" per major tick.
I admit it is odd, but if you are smarter than the machine it is not difficult.

It is really impressive how smooth and precise the carriage wheel it on this lathe

Back