Fused disconnect on welder circuit

Main reasons for the disconnect are:
1) the breaker box is in the basement, the disconnect will be close to the machines in the garage
2) I'd like to be able to easily kill all of the 220v to the garage when I'm not going to be working in there.
Thanks for all the advice

Lee

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Countryguy: yes, assuming my job situation works out and we get to stay in our current place permanently, I'll be running a 100a sub panel out to the garage, and hiring an electrician to do it all right :)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Yes we should use at least at most 120 amp. It will never be harmful for your welder circut. It will make your machine circuit never stop.

The purpose of any fuse/breaker is to protect the WIRE between the load center and the load. Assuming that your 240V receptacle is the only load on that circuit, a fuse/breaker on that circuit in the garage is redundant because the fuse/breaker at the main load center is protecting the wire.

I'd like to add a disconnect for the entire 220v service in the garage, so I can switch everything off when I'm not working. I have a 30amp fused safety switch which I was planning to use.

First, if the switch is fused, you should be able to swap in smaller rated fuses. I would use a slow blow 20A fuse.

Second, while the "code lawyers" will probably say otherwise, I would go ahead and use it, even with the 30A fuse. It will work fine as a disconnect. If you do overload the circuit the fuse/breaker in the main load center will trip and you will have to walk to that location to reset it.

The purpose of any fuse/breaker is to protect the WIRE between the load center and the load. Assuming that your 240V receptacle is the only load on that circuit, a fuse/breaker on that circuit in the garage is redundant because the fuse/breaker at the main load center is protecting the wire.

First, if the switch is fused, you should be able to swap in smaller rated fuses. I would use a slow blow 20A fuse.

Second, while the "code lawyers" will probably say otherwise, I would go ahead and use it, even with the 30A fuse. It will work fine as a disconnect. If you do overload the circuit the fuse/breaker in the main load center will trip and you will have to walk to that location to reset it.

You're right. Just use it as-is.

It's funny that people quote you the electrical code & tell you not to fuse over 20 amps, then you have the others say go ahead. Just remember the NEC is written for safety for electrical and fire hazards. But it's not their house or garage that may burn down. Please do it right. Consult a qualified electrician. It may cost you a little bit, but your tools are valuable to you.

The deal is, that if the shop feed is protected by a 20A breaker at the source (the house panel) then anything in the shop is just a disconnect. My shop is fed with 2-2-2-4 MHF and I used a 20 slot 100A panel in the shop with a 100A main breaker. The feed is breakered at 70A at the source, which is a panel installed by the utility right off the house meter. I can shut down the entire shop at the shop panel, or at the breaker panel on the far side of the house. The 2-2-2-4 is good to a max of 90A, I used 70A because that's what HD had on the shelf and it's plenty, even with 960 sq/ft full of stuff.

Back