Fusion 360 Defunctioning

God, this is really disappointing. I have a bunch of projects that I am going to need to convert to prints soon.
Can your projects still export STEP, DXF, etc? You have until 1st of October.
These formats can directly import into FreeCAD. You won't have full parametric sketches-driven models, but you will have a set of bodies that can be dimensioned with the TechDraw workbench, and printed out if you want.

I my experience, IGES does not transport well. STEP is great, because all the separate bits show up in FreeCAD as separate bodies, even is all "assembled". When you say "convert to prints", I think you mean hard copy dimensioned paper prints. By all means, capture and save your work, but at least export the standard formats as well. Try it with one of the projects. If you end up with a STEP file, and can import into FreeCAD, then it takes the pressure off.

Blocking STEP export is a douche move, IMO. sheesh. That's the most compatible one, and even 3D printing guys like posting them to make it easier to modify models for people in other programs.

In looking into it, it turns out I bought a license in January. No idea if the price will be good at renewal time, but I guess I have a little longer to decide. Hopefully this encourages people who can to help out the FreeCAD project. If nothing else, it should support my Linux computer better. Not having to launch a Windows VM would be nice. :)

I think it's been posted before. EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) offers a free home use license of SolidWorks with membership. Memberships start at $40/year and decrease if you join for longer durations.

I haven't used Fusion360, but I've been told there's a bit of relearning to use SolidWorks. Haven't tried installing the Solidworks CAM software, but according to the EAA forum it's included too.

Getting the Solidworks license from them is an interesting option. I wonder if it is able to use multi-core CPUs better than Fusion360 does. That's one thing I would like to see improved. It is a bit annoying to be waiting while it stalls and having 10+ idle cores. Lol

This is really annoying.
I’m just starting to learn Fusion 360, but I can’t justify paying for it yet.
I learned tinkercad , the designs seem to work so far and i can do stuff the hard way.
I think there is much more to be learned in a more advanced program.
I guess I’ll learn Freecad.

What a disappointment.
The Fusion interface had some familiar features that I liked. I've used Autodesk Inventor for years and adding Fusion seemed like it would be easy.
Oh well, forget it...

For 3D parametric CAD, you can check out Onshape. Yeah, it's 100% online but it's becoming as functional as Solidworks.

Thanks DAT510 for the EAA tip. I think I'd like to do that.
I don't like Solidworks as much as Onshape or Inventor, but when lacking a fully-functional kit beggars can't be choosers.

$297 for one year. I may bite...<sigh>

no way. For $297, send me a CD that I can install on my computer and use from then on. Then I will pay for upgrades, if I want them, or not. Renting the right to use software is BS. I'm about ready to get rid of Microsoft Office too, for the same reason.

I think it's been posted before. EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) offers a free home use license of SolidWorks with membership. Memberships start at $40/year and decrease if you join for longer durations.

I haven't used Fusion360, but I've been told there's a bit of relearning to use SolidWorks. Haven't tried installing the Solidworks CAM software, but according to the EAA forum it's included too.

I may have to look into that, but I still don't like the idea of renting access to software. They then hold you hostage to access the files YOU created.

I went through this some months back and initially decided to go with F360 since FreeCAD wasn't as polished. Then, I was seeing hints that F360 was not going to be free forever. I bit the bullet and switched to FreeCAD.

Is it as good as F360? No.

Can I get what I need to do with it? Yes.

I'm getting better and better at using FreeCAD. I learn all the time of new features. It is frustrating sometimes, but so was F360. I never liked the cloud.

Like ttabbal stated, maybe this will move FreeCAD forward faster.

Back