Fusion help

The display setting change made a very nice black line around the shaded body. I like it but still can not select an edge to offset.

Groundhog - stating the issue differently. Change attached file to offset.fx3 from offset.pdf and load it into fusion. See if you can select an edge of a body to offset. I still can't make it work. Yes, I can go back to the sketch and do it the long way around. The whole point of this excersize is too offset from a body.

Capture 4.JPGCapture 5.JPG

Are you selecting a plane from the body first and then via Sketch use Offset?

As Mike said, offset is a sketching tool and it is only going to work in Sketch.

Try "projecting" the edge you want to select. Press <P> for Project and click on the edge you want to offset. After selecting it, click <OK> in the Project dialog box that appeared and then try to offset that projected edge. Projecting allows you to use edges etc. from previous sketches and objects.

Good luck and have fun!
Ted

Karl,
Offset will only work with a sketch (the box that pops up for offsets only has "sketch curves" as an option for selections - those prompts are a good way to tell what you can select).
There are probably several ways to select those sketches. One is the way I explained, another is the way Technical Ted showed us (which I did not know either - thanks Ted). There may be more but as far as I know, you will need to select the sketch not the body (or component).

Try "projecting" the edge you want to select. Press <P> for Project and click on the edge you want to offset. After selecting it, click <OK> in the Project dialog box that appeared and then try to offset that projected edge. Projecting allows you to use edges etc. from previous sketches and objects.

Good luck and have fun!
Ted

BINGO! Give that man a gold star! Now this makes sense to me. Use project to create the sketch edge. Then operations can be performed on it like any sketch. My tutorial skips this steps so an FNG like me gets lost.

Thanks a bunch.
Capture 6.JPG

Glad I could help. I know how frustrating it can be when you want to do something that seems so simple, but you just can't quite get it to work the way you want.

That's too bad the tutorial skips that important step, but there might be somewhat of a reason for it. If you go to your "Preferences" and select "Design" under "General" there are two check boxes to play with for different effects with projections. One is "Auto project edges on reference" and the other is "Auto project geometry on active sketch". I think the later is the one I have turned off, because I didn't like all the edges automatically projecting and turned it off so I could select which edges, if any, I wanted projected. I think if this was turned on you might have been able to select that edge without manually projecting it, but I'm not certain. You might want to try it and see. I might not have this functionality 100% correct. If you do test it, please reply with your results so we all can learn.

Stick with it... Fusion is a fantastic tool!
Ted

DAILY DOUBLE!

You hit it right on. changed the preference to auto project and it works exactly like my example tutorial.

I NEVER WOULD GET THIS WITHOUT YOUCapture 7.JPG

Just to expand on the solution, the book definitely is in error here. You're told to create a new sketch on the plane of that object. The new sketch is like a blank piece of paper and doesn't know anything about the stuff you already created, so you have to project it's edges onto the new sketch.

OK, I am up to chapter 11 but never got MOVE COPY to work from chapter 4...

In the attached file (change from .pdf to .fx3 to open it) I sketched an outline on top of a 1" high 6" diameter cylinder. Need to move the entire sketch down 0.75"

capture 10 shows its a piece of cake to move a line around.

In capture 11, I'm trying to show just the large circle will not move in X or Y directions, IT WILL ROTATE. see capture 12. Get the same results wihen picking all the sketch objects.

At any rate, I need to learn to copy and move things, not getting it

Karl

capture 12.png

capture 10.pngcapture 11.png

Attachments

• cylinder.pdf
    44.4 KB · Views: 1
Back