Future Home of Rustorcreationd by Charley Davidson

I'm already looking for ideas of things I can scavenge to build a pretty cool/big/inexpensive shop that still has good curb appeal. Any ideas? I already have a 8x20 storage pod given to me.
Some paint that is not orange.

Re: Future Home of Rustorcreations by Charley Davidson

Sometimes, you can find a metal building that someone wants to get rid of. I've seen them go for free if you dismantle it. Is the lot in county territory with open zoning? When I was down in Tennessee looking at property, I was amazed that most of the out of town properties had open zoning. That's a dream for a guy that comes from the north east, where every bureaucracy wants to tell you what to do.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

People have built shops out of sea cans (shipping containers, storage pods, etc.) already and they turned out quite well. I remember seeing photos somewhere from a fellow in Australia who did exactly that. It was a bit crowded and tended to get warm inside but it was dry and secure!

Myself, I would save the sea can for storage, as you will have plenty of need for that too. Let's face it, you're going to need a small tractor of some sort to mow your acreage as well as some other garden type tools, and an 8 x 20 would be perfect as a large 'garden shed'. I would build the shop on a nice heavy concrete pad, just make sure you build it bigger than you think you will need. Every time I talk to someone that has built a new shed they comment that they should have built it twice as big as they first thought, or that they should have gone with the 14' walls instead of 12', etc. Plan carefully and think big, you will not regret it.

Re: Future Home of Rustorcreations by Charley Davidson

Check with some metal building suppliers. I found in the past that they have custom buildings that didnt go through on the financing end. The prices were pennys on the dollar! Unfortunantly you have to build the slab to "specs".

Jake Parker

Another one to consider since you are basically in farm country: Many times farm auctions will have dismantled steel buildings on them. Prices are usually pretty good if you know what you are looking for and looking at. Once again, you might have to size your slab to the building, and you will need to move all of the pieces yourself, but it can save a bunch of money. The biggest thing to look out for is whether or not all of the pieces are there or not, which is why it is important to know what you are looking at if it has already been disassembled.

What a fantastic blank canvas you have before you. Nice way to start off your upswing chapter in life.
The BelAir 'camper' looks like it might be a 'Parkside' style. Might have extra insulation and such.
Do the sliding glass doors look to be factory?

The sea-cans option intrigues me. except that you have to settle for 8' ceilings.
I have a printed article around here somewhere of a gent whose a cabinet maker and he used (4) of them
in an "X" pattern with a covered work area at the center. He's in a more temperate climate though - the islands.

_Dan

What a fantastic blank canvas you have before you. Nice way to start off your upswing chapter in life.
The BelAir 'camper' looks like it might be a 'Parkside' style. Might have extra insulation and such.
Do the sliding glass doors look to be factory?

The sea-cans option intrigues me. except that you have to settle for 8' ceilings.
I have a printed article around here somewhere of a gent whose a cabinet maker and he used (4) of them
in an "X" pattern with a covered work area at the center. He's in a more temperate climate though - the islands.

_Dan

Good eye, it is a park model. It needs a lot of attention but it's something to work with.

Back