G&E Shaper Kit

gentle_1ben

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
A G&E 1884 Shaper Kit I bought several years ago. This is the way I got it, on the pallet.
_D7S1927a.jpg

_D7S1932a.jpg

Amazing all the parts are there!

Here it is put together.
_D7S1962a.jpg

_D7S1965a.jpg
_D7S1951a.jpg

Next is to build a sub-base to support the original countershaft and motor. I will work on that as soon as I get back to work. The main idea is to have machine and countershaft apart from each other like the original lineshaft setup. I want to run it some before doing a complete restore. That way I will know what I need to rework during restore.

Nice. What size is that? I'm assuming you already did a rebuild by putting it back together.
You probably cleaned up the mechanical as you were putting it back together and replaced felts, and oiled it.. RIGHT?

Awesome. I have a 16" G&E built in 1942 though.

PS. Looks like we are pretty close neighbors.

It's a 15" shaper. Actually it's just put together, cleaned off the crude, to see if all the part were there. I will oil it up before putting it under power. I need to make a clutch and brake for the countershaft. These machine didn't have clutch in the machine. It will a be long term project. I don't want to stop and start the motor all the time. Next is the sub-base which will provide leveling and support the countershaft and motor.
Ben

I was really surprised they were all there too. After holding the floor down for the last 5 years it's time to see it work. I also have G&E 16" 1912 era, a 1953 G&E 24" Industrial Universal 24".
I really enjoy running shaper, When I took a machine shop at night back in the '90's I spent two semesters running the class shaper. The only thing I couldn't figure out was to drill a hole.
Ben

Back