G0602 Or Simaler Small Lathe Owners Z Axis Dial Indicator

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
I was wondering what yall use for dial indicator to cut accurately in z towards the chuck magnetic indicator like pictured or maybe something else post pics if ya got em :) :) thanks gents imageRendering.gif

Yes, I use that regularly. I also have a 2" travel one I made up. I just stick it on the V-ways so that it touches the carriage, slide it to a convenient location to have near full travel available, and zero the indicator at the start (or the end) of the cut. The carriage handwheel dial on my 13x40 is worthless.

IMG_4146.jpg IMG_4149.jpg I was going to try to add a magnet to the back of one of my dial indicators and noticed that the indicator needle had a not so subtle reaction with the magnet.
I would imagine that this problem might only happen on some dial indicators while others have antimagnetic movements.
I had built a carriage stop a while ago and decided that maybe I could modify it to accept the dial indicator interchangable with the adjustable stop rod

CHuck the grumpy old guy

image.jpeg Standard 2" face 1" travel indicator on my 618. Didn't want to go the magnet route so cast a holder in urethane resin that uses brass thumbscrews instead.

-frank

My only other objection to the magnet idea, is that the magnet attracts steel swarf which I find to be a pain in the kazoo My current DRO system is held on with magnets and attracts
huge bunches of it while machining steel.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

View attachment 121395 Standard 2" face 1" travel indicator on my 618. Didn't want to go the magnet route so cast a holder in urethane resin that uses brass thumbscrews instead.

-frank
Frank, you cheated and made all your ways flat for the indicator holder. That makes it a lot easier. I'm going to try that on my lathe, too! I'm headed for my angle grinder now... 8^)

Bob
Be sure to record it for a YouTube video! There's a lot of us who want to watch and learn from your expertise. :^}

CHuck the grumpy old guy

I use 2" DI with a magnetic back like the one in your pic. My bench lathe has a leadscrew cover which makes a perfect platform for it.

Tom

Back