g0602 tailstock alignment help

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Ok I'm doing the old school ruler method on the tailstock I have centers in the spindle and tailstock and the tailstock is higher then the spindle I'm not aware of any up and down adjustment just left to right has anyone else dealt with this any advice how to proceed to lower the tailstock ??

Our instructor made it clear that most tail stocks are high on center by a bit. Long as you aint cutting from th top or bottom it wont matter

I have an older Smithy lathe that came with an Inspection Accuracy Table and the feature ( Equal-height of the axis between the head stock and tailstock centers to the carriage) is within an allowable tolerance of 0.05mm

.002" is standard. It allows for wear. If you keep your cutting tool on center,the error in turning a long piece will be negligible

I never move my tailstocks without squirting some oil in front(or rear) of it. Keep your ways well oiled to prolong the life especially of the tailstock. They wear until they point down hill.

Before thinking about adjusting i would think about measuring correctly.
The measurement was taken with the tailstock extended or not?
You just might be lucky and the barrel would have a point of entension where it is the exact hight.

The tailstock was extended 1 inch I will try and get an accurate mesurment and pic when I get back out there and report back

Ok I'm doing the old school ruler method on the tailstock I have centers in the spindle and tailstock and the tailstock is higher then the spindle I'm not aware of any up and down adjustment just left to right has anyone else dealt with this any advice how to proceed to lower the tailstock ??

If for what ever reason you need the vertical height dead center then use a boring head in the TS.Replace a cutter with a shop made 60° point. Now you can adjust the point for center up/ down , or laterally.There are plans on the web for a similar tool that uses an adjustable point that does not use a boring head.I use the boring head when I cut a taper instead of moving the TS.The one time I moved the TS it took over 3 hours to readjust the TS back to straight turning.

mike

Back