G0704/R20 belt conversion kit?

great white

Active User
Registered
Damned plastic gears!

Anyone offer a kit to convert to belt drive?

Normally I'd make one myself, but I'm just not in the mood and have too many projects on the go already. I'd rather just buy a kit and just bolt it up.....

One thing is for sure; even though I've only stripped one gear, I've had enough of that!

Or, a metal H/L gear would also work. I just don't want to strip another one, let alone pay 80 CAD plus shipping and an 8 month wait.....

I do see a metal H/L gear offered on aliexpress, but I'm not comfortable buying from that site. They want a CC number and I'm not comfortable giving that to (want I understand to be) a Chinese company, given their govt policies and the foolishness they’re involved with these days. If they did paypal, no problem, but they don't.

Last edited:
Aliexpress let me check out using paypal so I ordered one of these:

We'll see if it fits once here. the measurements on the diagram certainly match up to the plastic one. There will still be a plastic gear in the drivetrain (motor to shaft) s there;s still a "fuse gear" to protect the drivetrain.

What the hell were they thinking putting a sacrificial gear buried deep down in the machine? There's lots of places to put one that is an easy swap out and not as complicated a gear to manufacture. Which is why I'd say they put the plastic gear where they did: cheaper to manufacture.

This metal gear is nearly half of what Busy Bee wants for a replacement plastic gear as well. Yeah, eff that!

Found a metal gear for it and ordered one:

Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 10-52-09 27.65C$ 20_ OFF Milling Gears Milling Machine Machine Tool S...png
Will probably take a motnh or two to ship here (from china), but it should perma-fix the stripping gear problem. At least it will move the stripping plastic gear issue from deep inside the machine to the plastic gear next to the motor. Much easier to get to and change.....less expensive as well.

Back