Garage door replacement

So far I am $500 and a bit for all of the material. Only need to get trimmings to make it look better. That will be added at a later date. Today I will put up the smart siding. I will have to trim the flanges off to get to 48” and cut to length. Add more shim to stud sections for added support.

When all is done it will have cost less than 1/3 of getting a new door installed. Being handy around the house gets me Brownie points with the wife. That is always a good thing.

Cutting oil is my blood.

My garage door died a few months ago. I finally decided to replace it. Going with blocking 4” on each side and put 2 4 foot swinging doors in. That way I can gain a few extra feet of wall space. Also when I install new lighting I will get better coverage.

I bonded some pressure tested wood to the floor so I could fasten the walls in. I did not want to lag them in. So took the glue route.

There is MAJOR cleaning, chucking and organizing to be done in that mess. A little bit at a time.
c8514bd0a3e680fd5d56c84d7b60e1a7.jpg

a233560deb284af98095fb612d1a0808.jpg

0c6d9e8491a4b7e1e3384968b74e6ee0.jpg

62fe6a2ff443cbb69215697c339c4211.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.
That's a very spacious shop compared to mine! At least your double wide door frame doesn't sag about 3". Sometimes a DIY project is done very poorly and somebody pays for it later. Good idea to shorten the door. Be sure everything will still come out....
DanK

That's a very spacious shop compared to mine! At least your double wide door frame doesn't sag about 3". Sometimes a DIY project is done very poorly and somebody pays for it later. Good idea to shorten the door. Be sure everything will still come out....
DanK

Yep There is a 2” sag in it. Also the concrete floor has a crack running fore to aft. That is lifted also. That is why I doubled up the ends of the walls center of opening. They were wedged and shimmed to try and keep from moving more. As the garage is 70 years old I will take what I can get.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Yep There is a 2” sag in it. Also the concrete floor has a crack running fore to aft. That is lifted also. That is why I doubled up the ends of the walls center of opening. They were wedged and shimmed to try and keep from moving more. As the garage is 70 years old I will take what I can get.

Cutting oil is my blood.
well it's a good thing you doubled them up, that's the way you are supposed to frame the opening. Any ending is supposed to be doubled.

Last edited:
Got the first coat of paint on everything and one door done. I need to get more L brackets for the second door. Hopefully I can get the second coat on in the morning. then track down more L brackets. Get the second door made and get some help in the afternoon to hang them. If not I can do it after work Monday.
f4c6082bf051c4ce7354ed150f360bab.jpg

1d05c88ff11f5376a510784989969f1c.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back