Garage Shop Layout

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just a new floor in my garage and would like some ideas about how to lay out machines when I move everything back in.
The space is 19' x 20'. I have a bunch of tables. a 12' wood workbench & an 8' wood work bench. 2 small sized metals benches on casters. I have the normal shop stuff, welder, small band saw, mill and lathe, belt grinder and also a surface grinder. I think the open space in the middle needs to be utilized, machines are work bench? I hope to be dropping a few air lines from the ceiling as well as some electrical. What are your thoughts on wall shelves? Do you guys use a lot of them?
Thanks for the ideas.

When I move here and into a new (larger) shop I measured the footprint of everything I had (shop-wise). Then I used a cad program to move the items around in a box the size of my new shop. I've since gone back to this drawing to figure light placement, air line distribution, a new doorway, etc.
The drawing with the outlines of shelves, tables, and machines has been helpful many times - well worth the time it took to make it.

You don't need a cad program though. Use graph paper and scale everything accordingly. Make cut-outs of the tables, machines, etc. so you can just move them around.

Good idea.
I learned Auto Cad in college 5 years ago but hardly remember a dang thing about it. I sure would love to relearn something like though.

Yeah they just collect stuff, amazing.

I used the space in the middle of the shop for my 14x40 lathe and 8x32 floor mill, placed back-to-back. I built a floor-to-ceiling pylon between them at one end, which my electrician wired up with the requisite connections and the mag-cutout devices the local code requires. The lathe is close enough to one wall that I can have a stand behind me with tools and some stock close at hand. The mill is in the center, and behind it a stand I made for a surface plate and under it, storage for rotary table, hold-downs, etc. Works pretty well for my needs and frees up the wall space for benches, surface grinder,welder, etc._1000021a.jpg

Last edited:
DDickey,
Got four of those heavy duty metal shelving units and wish I had more. But I'm maxed out at my present shop location. Yes, they take up space and fill up all too quickly. My advice is to prioritize placing your work benches first along with ease of access to electrical outlets. My shelves are across the shop away from the machines, tool boxes, etc.
Charles spencer, good idea on the outline. I'll be doing the same thing next year after I sell a few machines to free up space. But I'll use the lined graph paper and cut out templates of the machines. Basically 1 square equals one foot or whatever scale makes the schematic easy to read (i.e. 1:2 etc.) I'll also add the location of the 3 phase and single phase outlets in my schematic. Might have to buy some extra long cable to make new power cords for the machines I'll keep. But if putting longer cords on some machines makes the layout more efficient, it is worth it.

Last edited:
Garages as shops suffer from too many doors. Usually there’s a door into the house, another door to the exterior, and of course, the roll-up door. If you aren’t parking a vehicle in there (some people actually do that), you can use some or all of the roll-up door and gain some space. I just moved my Millrite to back up to the roll-up, and my drill press too, and effectively gained a few square feet to put other stuff in.

That suggestion to set aside wall space for benches is a good one. Plus you can store above and below those precious horizontal surfaces.

Last edited:
I found it useful to put the mill with its table aligned with the lathe bed, anything over-length can be supported on a tailstock mounted on the mill table and I can wind its handles to centre up - it gives me about 5 feet more length capacity, even if I can only turn/thread/whatever the first couple of feet from the lathe chuck!

Other than that, as much bench space and sturdy racking as you can manage... A drawer specific to Brute Force and Ignorance is a good idea too, hammers, chisels, prybars, hacksaws etc. all kept together :)

Dave H. (the other one)

Back