Gardner 1 1/2 surface grinder

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I posted this on PM and got no replies.

I'm looking at a local Gardner 1 1/2 grinder to buy. Owner says it was professionally rebuilt 5 years ago and used little since. I have searched for info about it and only get the basic stuff.

There seems to be no forum posts here or other forums about this model.

Is this a morphrodite or why the lack of info and discussions?

One thing I would like to know is wheel size options and how available wheels are. Also would like to hear from someone that has one.

Thanks
Aaron

For a home shop machinist you will mostly be looking at machines with 6, 7, or 8" wheels. 7" wheels are by far the most popular on ordinary surface grinders and there is usually the largest selection and best pricing for that size. The others I listed, and some I did not, could certainly be used and wheels can be found (but check before buying!)

I've heard of Gardner over the years. Not well known. Go look at Vintage Machinery's website and Tony's website and see what kind of literature comes up if any. There's a 100% chance you will not find any repair parts and if anything is missing, may have to build it for your needs. But as long as the spindle turns, the table goes back and forth and in and out, your in business. As for the spindle, it may use wheel adapters and it may not. Just have to check it out and see. Post some pictures so we can help you more if you do buy it. Ken

A friend of mine just bought a Harvel 816 grinder that is very similar. Bridgeport also sold one that is very similar. Perhaps the same manufacturer for all. The one you are looking at uses a 10x15" chuck and a 12" wheel, 1" wide, and with a 3" center hole. It is a manual machine, hand feeds only. The one my friend just got (mxr662 on H-M, look for his post) is 8x16. Moderator Jim Dawson here also has a Harvel 8x16 grinder. The one I have seen was very nicely built and is in good condition. Make very sure that it comes with a chuck that works and is the correct size. It is an odd size and very expensive if yours does not have one and you cannot find a used one reasonably. The wheels are pricey, but should last for a long time given the size. The very most important thing on a surface grinder is the spindle. If the bearings are bad or rough, it will essentially cost more than the machine is worth to replace them, on pretty much any ball or roller bearing grinder. Don't be afraid to ask more questions, there is help available here.

Last edited:
Bob, I tried. It was a shot in the dark. Look like Litton Industries took them over. I'm not even sure Litton even exists today or who could have bought them.

Bob, I tried. It was a shot in the dark. Look like Litton Industries took them over. I'm not even sure Litton even exists today or who could have bought them.
And if they are still around, do they care about what they made that long ago?

And if they are still around, do they care about what they made that long ago?
Nope! They probably don't even know that group made surface grinders. Just abrasive products!
I wonder if that SG was rebadge and sold under them. Sure has the resemblance of a Bridgeport or Boice Soyer (sp) surface grinder.

I don't own this yet even though I show it in my signature. I thought it was a done deal. The day I spoke with the owner, he said he was leaving for Arizona the next day and would let me know when he returned in April.

He said he owned a machinery rebuilding business in Minneapolis before retirement and kept this one when that business was closed to use in his shop. Said it was rebuilt. It looks very nice in the pictures but only personal inspection would confirm those things.

It has ball bearing ways, a chuck and coolant system.

My only concern so far has been that I have been unable to locate info or even mention of this model in searches made.

It looks identical to a Landis 1- 1/2 and very close to a Harvel 815

So anyone have a Landis Abrasive 1-1/2 ???

Back