Gauge Threads (type) And Carbon Brush Sourcing

c60

Registered
Registered
Two hopefully quick questions.

I want to make a couple of extended stems for my gauge (Or Gage if you prefer). It is just a bog standard Mitutoyo 0-10mm analog. As I don't have a thread gauge can anyone please confirm the cap screw is 4-48 UNF before I splash out on a tap? A longer solid stem at 6mm and 8mm collet compatible would make tramming and also finding TDC on rounds easier. Better still I guess would be a shiny new (cheap) gauge for purpose.

Next is a little more complex. I have a Titan TM16V mini drill which has a carbon brush problem. As far as I can tell the model is not made or supported any longer. It had several different motors on same model code. The Australian seller has so far been unresponsive to email/phone messages. I believe the same model may be badged under Grizzly and even Seig. What I need I think are nominal 10mm x 3.4mm x 12.5mm (or maybe 14??) and are same as a Sieg x3 (later) ??. I measure worn existing at 9.9 x 3.3.

Ebay fails me here, what I need is source with reasonable postage ( I can find outrageous!) costs.

Thanks

Hi c60,

I guess your post count is too low to include a picture of the old brushes you need to replace.
Can you provide a link to a similar set?
Besides the size, what's the wire connection like, is there a spring too?

I have a bag of brushes I got off ebay once when I needed a pair.
I would be more than happy to share if any of these would fit.

-brino

I want to make a couple of extended stems for my gauge (Or Gage if you prefer). It is just a bog standard Mitutoyo 0-10mm analog. As I don't have a thread gauge can anyone please confirm the cap screw is 4-48 UNF before I splash out on a tap? A longer solid stem at 6mm and 8mm collet compatible would make tramming and also finding TDC on rounds easier. Better still I guess would be a shiny new (cheap) gauge for purpose.

Next is a little more complex. I have a Titan TM16V mini drill which has a carbon brush problem. As far as I can tell the model is not made or supported any longer. It had several different motors on same model code. The Australian seller has so far been unresponsive to email/phone messages. I believe the same model may be badged under Grizzly and even Seig. What I need I think are nominal 10mm x 3.4mm x 12.5mm (or maybe 14??) and are same as a Sieg x3 (later) ??. I measure worn existing at 9.9 x 3.3.

Ebay fails me here, what I need is source with reasonable postage ( I can find outrageous!) costs.

Thanks

A few weeks ago I was looking for carbon brushes for an old Craftsman shop vacuum. I found a number on e-bay from China at a very reasonable price. If you can't find your exact size, you could select one that was slightly oversize3d and do a little judicious grinding to bring it to size.

Hi Brino,

I think they are the same as these:- Reason I haven't ordered from here yet is postage is a whopping $24+ Australian. May have to bite the bullet. Thanks for offer on your brushes, really appreciated.

RJ - taking the emery to a larger set is certainly an option. Ebay has pairs for as little as $1.99 inc postage. I even spotted 10 pairs or 4mm square for a mere 99c. Can't for the life of me see why some are so expensive. Starting price at the local tool shop, carbon brushes for angle grinders etc are $20, $33 and up.

Brush.JPG

Here's what I got in that random bag of brushes:
brushes.jpg
I suspect it's more than a life-time supply for me.

I will check dimensions tonight and post back if I have something useful for you.

Bob (RJ) is correct above they are, of course, very easy to down-size.

-brino

Thanks

I have seen carbon brush replacements at True Value or Ace Hardware in the cool assortment drawers. (I can't remember which though they both might have them). They might have one larger for you to modify.

Quite a collection you have there Bob. I've also used them for electro etching, wire it up, a bit of felted material held by rubber band, dip in the solution and you have your "pen".

Sorry Harry, no Ace or True Value here in Australia.

Quite a collection you have there Bob. I've also used them for electro etching, wire it up, a bit of felted material held by rubber band, dip in the solution and you have your "pen".

Sorry Harry, no Ace or True Value here in Australia.

I guess that this "Yank" doesn't take the time to notice member's 'flags' !

@c60,

Unfortunately, there are no direct "drop-in" replacements in that bunch.
However, there may three possibilities for you if you're willing to do some modifications.

10.9x5.8mm.jpg

11x5.9mm.jpg

12.6x3.1mm.jpg
those last ones are actually two thin brushes in a bundle, the two wires go thru one spring.

Let me know if you think you can make any of those work for you.

-brino

I guess that this "Yank" doesn't take the time to notice member's 'flags' !
Tapatalk on smartphones doesn't show flags. In fact, even if we look at your profile we can't see your location when using Tapatalk on an iPhone or iPad. I could also easily respond as if you were in the US, but it's not out of disrespect, disregard, or arrogance. I do see signatures though, so if you wish to put your location in your sig I will try to be more careful.

Steve Shannon, USA

Back