Gear cutting help needed

aaronpadilla

Registered
Registered
Hi there,

I need some help from experienced people in gear cutting.

I will try to rebuild my standard modern gears, they are pretty distorted, I know that I will not be able to give a good polishing to surface teeth but it just can't be worst.

I bought a cheap set of involute cutters DP16 14.5PA but looking for info I found that the smaller count of teeth for 14.5 PA is 32 without undercutting , however the cutter Nr. 1 starts to 12 teeth.

I would need a gear of 27 teeth .

I know you can't do undercutting with an involute cutter so, since the first cutter is able to cut 12 teeh, are they made to avoid interference?

Attachments

• 20210105_123157.jpg
    20210105_123157.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210105_125245.jpg
    20210105_125245.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC02923.JPG
    DSC02923.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 17
I don't have any involute cutters, but I do remember it being mentioned that many of the import cutter sets, for some reason, inverted the cutter numbers. In other words, they numbered the cutter backwards so a #1 became a #8 etc......

Looking at involute cutter tables on the web..... it looks like a cutter that cuts 12 teeth is really a #8. So it appears your set may have the inverted numbering others have found.

From the charts, for a 27 tooth, it looks like you need a #4 (real numbering) which should be a #5 in an inverted numbered set.

Involute Cutter Ranges.jpeg

Yes, correct on the reverse numbering, but all the import cutters that I have seen also have the range of the teeth to be cut stamped on the cutters.

The imports with inverse numbering are most likely metric (module) cutters, almost certainly 20 degree PA if that is the case.

The writer states that h
The imports with inverse numbering are most likely metric (module) cutters, almost certainly 20 degree PA if that is the case.
[/QUOTE
The writer states that the set he bought is 16 DP and 14-1/2 PA. The other countries that do the reverse number almost certainly use the same system on DP cutters as well as Module cutters.

Back