Gear head motor ?

frugalguido

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Can a gear head motor be run in different positions? I have this Boston geared motor that I would like to mount in the vertical position. Is that possible? I can't find any info on Boston's website for this model number, but I'm sure it is an older model.IMG_2276.jpg

Yes it can . :) We run in all configurations . Just beware if the gearbox is above the motor , when the shaft seal goes it leaks oil down into the motor .

I have 5 ready to go to the scrapper at the moment . When I change a motor , I change the gearbox along with it and visa versa .

So does the vent have to be moved, if mounted vertically? I guess ideally then, that if mounted vert, then the motor should be mounted above the gearbox? I trying to use this on my vintage 9" bandsaw and I'm trying to keep the foot print small. It sure would be nice to have the motor below the gear box to keep the center of gravity low.

Yes , the vent has to be moved to the top and used to fill oil . The plug 1/2 way up is now the level at which to fill the gearbox .

You might check with the manufacturer technical. I have seen previous discussions and they only recommend specific orientation for the drives. There was also the issue of the oil level and seals failing.

What ratio is the box ? I'll look on the trailer and see what's there .

50 to 1, I think the right angle box would work better to keep the foot print smaller, if I can mount it vertically, thanks for the offer.

I found a BG 60 to 1 out on the trailer , same style as yours . I may hold onto this one for a future project maybe . Let us see your build when complete .

Will do, working on the stand now. Basically a 4" tube, with four feet for outriggers, a steel plate to mount the bandsaw to on the top. Was hoping to mount the gear motor to the side of the 4" tube vertically , the use a belt/pulleys to dial in the speed. This is a picture of the bandsaw before restoration.260473394_24136875642595198_4574511265852820175_n.jpg

Back