Gearbox gear ration for Kalamazoo A9AW

Driveslayer45

Registered
Registered
i have this saw and i love it but i keep stripping teeth. i am using 601 bimetal blades from sawblade.com, the latest is 4-6 tpi, i just ordered and am waiting to arrive a 5-7. i do not think it has the original pulleys on it, and i am wondering if i am running it too fast but i cannot find the ratio of the gearbox listed anywhere.. does anyone by chance have this information? my current calculated SFM is coming up around 3000 using the calculator on vintage machinery.

i cut a mix, mostly HRS solids, thick plate, structural.. some stainless, some aluminum plate and round solids...

3,000 what? inches or feet per minute? if IPM, that is 250 FPM, that would be about twice too fast for steel; for aluminum it would be OK. You should find a tachometer or rev counter with a contact wheel and check the FPM to be sure.

3,000 SFPM (surface feet per minute) would be appropriate for wood cutting, something 'ain't right --- Maybe look at the calculator again, could you send a link to it and describe how you used it to come up with that result?

If you know the diameter of the wheels and the RPM (should be low enough to count RPMs using a watch or clock for time, it would be easy to calculate FPM

1588719361494.png

so i marked the blade and counted 22ish revolutions of the blade in one minute, the blade is 10' 10.5", so i am coming up with ~238

As I stated earlier that speed is about twice too fast for steel, OK for aluminium FPM should be about 100-125 for steel 300 or so for aluminum.

That site/formula is not what is needed for your saw, since you do not know the speed ratio, it is intended for wood cutting saws, however, the result of 3,000 works for inches per minute, note that 3,000 divided by 12 is 250, remarkedly close to the 237 that you counted.

Back