Gearbox problem

Danshell

Registered
Registered
Hi I am attempting to tidy up a Light 10K that I just purchased and in doing so I noticed something which I think is not right. The left hand side gear lever wont go into the top middle hole, it will only sit just to the right of the hole. Looking inside the gearbox it cant go any further left because it hits a gear.

Just so you know, I am a total newbie at this, I have barely turned a lathe in my life let alone a south bend so I dont even know if it is supposed to go into the top middle hole!! But it does on the newer gearbox.

IMG_4384.jpg

Now this lathe came with another (unused) gearbox, so that tells me that the old owner must have been having an issue. However it was suggested the new gearbox my be for a 9 inch. But when I look at the cogs they look almost identical to me. Sure the new gearbox has a couple of extra cogs but they appear to be attached to the same single cog the old gearbox has, it looks like a slightly stronger design.....same size cogs just a double row of them for strength perhaps?
Can someone who knows a lot more about this than me have a look at the pics and tell me if it will work on my 10k.
Just for the record if it helps, the old gearbox's catalogue number is CL670A and the new gearbox is CL644R.
Is there someone I can email to get a definite answer if these are interchangeable?

Thanks very much for any help.

IMG_4452.jpg

IMG_4451.jpg

Just for the record if it helps, the old gearbox's catalogue number is CL670A and the new gearbox is CL644R.
Is there someone I can email to get a definite answer if these are interchangeable?

Those numbers are the catalog number for the LATHE, not the gear box. Ted (SBLATHEMAN) over on the PM site could tell you if they were interchangeable. There is an ARMY Field Manual for the 9" and 10k lathe, but I don't know what the number is. It is basically the SB parts manual for both lathes. It is something you want to have if you have the SB smaller lathes.

Those numbers are the catalog number for the LATHE, not the gear box. Ted (SBLATHEMAN) over on the PM site could tell you if they were interchangeable. There is an ARMY Field Manual for the 9" and 10k lathe, but I don't know what the number is. It is basically the SB parts manual for both lathes. It is something you want to have if you have the SB smaller lathes.

Thank you very much. I have sourced the field manual, it has everything I need by the looks of it. Perfect.

Thank you very much. I have sourced the field manual, it has everything I need by the looks of it. Perfect.
Keep in mind the 2 levers are different and only go on one side otherwise the levers would not go in some holes. There should only be 2 gears that are looking the same, but will not work on the 2 shafts ends. If you can not get all gears to fit on shaft and case then switch the 2 gears that look the same.
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0258.JPG
    IMG_0258.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I am no expert but I have had occasional trouble with that too. Maybe not with that particular setting. What I have found that I need to do is move the handle to each hole and engage them. Then go back to the hole thats giving an alignment problem. Sometimes it goes in no problem. If it still gives problems I will disengage the handle that dials in the threads per inch or adjust it to another setting. Then I will try again. Eventually It will engage. I can only speak for my lathe but it might be worth a try for you. Its probably easier if the gearbox is mounted.

Its really not hard to disassemble those gearboxes and do a proper clean and tune up. The biggest issue is the shafts. Just mount them in a lathe and do a super light cut only on the raised areas of wear. Then polish with emery cloth. While you are in there...make sure the oil passages are clean and not clogged. Theres a bunch of oil passages. Lead plugs/balls are peened to seal up the manufacturing drill holes. FWIW...you can run the lathe without the lead screw and box connected if you only have one lathe.

Back