Gearbox Shift Lever Replacement 9a

jhmiii

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a used Southbend 9A lathe (1954) and am in the process of restoring it. The right tumbler lever on the gearbox is broken. I am guessing that something heavy was dropped on it. The casting just in front of the retractable knob is cracked through and the pin is bent. I found a left hand lever for sale. I would like to purchase it, but it is very specifically marked as a left-hand tumbler lever. Aren't the right- and left-hand levers interchangeable? My left and right levers look identical except, of course, for the damage. I appreciate any input.

Thanks,

John

This may help. Judging by the parts list the bores for the shaft differ.Shifters.gif

Thanks LucknowKen. If anyone sees a right-hand tumbler lever for sale somewhere please drop me a line.

I considered boring or bushing (sic) the hole and finally made it out to the shop to measure the bores on the left and right levers. Both are 0.770"!! After I clean them up a little better I will take a few other dimensions to see if there are any significant differences between the two. Thanks again for the suggestions and support.

John

Hi John: I have looked closely at the shifters on my '57 9A and i cannot readily see a difference.
I do not know enough to say for sure if they differ.
One of the gears in the parts list has a different number though.
If you cannot get a shifter using THM classifieds you could try Joe at Plaza Machinery.

LK

Thanks again, LK. I did not realize THM had classifieds and did not know of Plaza Machinery. I will check into both.

Back