Gearhead Question

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a newly rebuilt Delco-Remy starter motor. I want to adapt this motor without altering it in any way to use as a starter motor for my 1940 Witte diesel.

Building a mounting is no problem. My plan is to gear it to another gear (think very small flywheel) that will turn a shaft that will power a belt which will turn one of the very large (22') Witte flywheels.

Problem is: finding a gear to mesh with the starter motor Bendix gear. Are such gears available? I have searched on the line and have found none. Should I try to make one?

Eons ago, I was able to find a Boston gear that mated to the starter pinion of a Chrysler gear reduction starter. Can't remember the pitch but it was 14.5 degree PA..
You can use the flex plate from the corresponding GM vehicle.

It's easier to use a small horizontal shaft gasoline engine with a small rubber wheel on the crankshaft rubbing on the big flywheel.

I tried that and didn't like it.

The starter motor will take less space and I can start it at the press of a button. And I can rig a small solar panel to keep the battery charged if I take it to shows.

I am thinking on cutting about a 4" gear to mesh with the Bendix gear. I've never really cut a complete gear so this will be a learning process. I have an index head and gear cutters, so if I can find the right cutter I just might be able to do it.

Any thoughts on how to proceed with the gear cutting? It's a 12 tooth Bendix gear.

Measure the o.d. Add 2 to the number of teeth (12 +2 = 14) and divide by the o.d. to get the diametral pitch.

Thank you. I saw that formula somewhere before.

Look at the tooth carefully, even try to find a pic of the ringgear the starter goes to. Most starters and ring gears do not use normal style gears. From memory, most ring gears are more of a triangular shaped tooth.

With all the gear reduction will that starter turn it enough to fire it off before it overheats ?

With all the gear reduction will that starter turn it enough to fire it off before it overheats ?

Easily because the engine has a de-compression release. It is meant to be hand crank started.

I now have it hooked up to a .5hp 120VAC motor which easily starts it.

If that works then get inverter and batteries.

.5 hp is 400 watts, 1 kw inverters not bad, hf has 3 kw i think for song price.

A grp 27 battery and solar charge or alternator on the engine and you are done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back