Gears for my oldtimer lathe

Matthias

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys,

My name is Matthias and I recently discovered this forum site where people share there idees and thoughts.
I'm from Belgium, and I'm in the posession of an old lathe.
It's a Blomqvist 600 or better known as a South Bend 9" (mine is a Swedish model).
The problem is that I don't have the change gears for treading.

My question, is there anybody who have thes gears in reserve or can fabrikate the or have an adres?

My thanks,
And sorry for my bad English :)

Attachments

• 16084900184b01c17cbe2f0.jpg
    16084900184b01c17cbe2f0.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 56
Hi Matthias,

I suspect it will be very expensive to buy these gears. A check on ebay (uk site) shows a few southbend gears, mainly from the US, and they're asking about £200 plus £100 postage for a set of 10 (sorry, can't find a euro symbol on my keyboard). At £30 per gear that may be a good deal when you consider a cheap gear cutter is around £25 and I'd guess you'd need 3 or 4 of them, plus the steel.

I have the means to cut gears (mill, dividing head) but I don't have many cutters (3 to be precise!). I'm willing to help you out but it will take time, as my time is split between work and machines I'm restoring. If all else fails, PM me and maybe we can sort something out.

Rob

Another option is building an electronic lead screw (ELS). There are a number of people here who have, including myself, for very same reason as you - change gears for my lathe were missing and impossible to find.

Last edited:
3D Printed - possibly. . .

Hello Matthias,

Welcome to the site!

Just to add to Dan's (@middle.road 's post above) If you can get access to a 3D-printer you could make them yourself!

The (free for home use) Fusion-360 from AutoDesk has a built-in spur gear generator. You just feed it the specifications and it can generate the .stl file that the 3D-printer needs.

Over here it is possible to get access to a 3D-printer at public libraries and maker-spaces, though most places want you to complete a short intro course first, so you know the basics and don't damage the machine.

I bet if you new the exact spec of all the gears you need, you could find someone to print them for you, for a modest fee.

You could even try the "Can you make something for me" forum here:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/can-you-make-something-for-me.452/

or the "3D-printer" forum here:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/3d-printers.224/

-brino

Guys,

thank you all so much, this will help a lot.
I'm looking in to DIY electronic lead screw building projects, but I'm a metal worker and I'm not that edjucated in electronics.
The 3D printing option already crossed my mind, I'm going to calculate the data I need for the gears I need.
I also heve made contact with a vacational school where the students can make 1 gear each :D.

Meanwhile I going to proceed my quest to find original gears (not only for use but also for the vallue of the machine).

I'l keep you all informed, I love this forum, it's realy edjucational and inspiring to exchanche ideas with people on a distance of 7000km away.
I hope that I can contribute with my ideas in the future.

Greets.

Boston Gear sells on Amazon and makes about every gear a SB 9 could ask for. You'll need to know the pressure angle, module or pitch, and shaft diameter. Pricey, though

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hello Matthias,

Welcome to the site!

Just to add to Dan's (@middle.road 's post above) If you can get access to a 3D-printer you could make them yourself!

The (free for home use) Fusion-360 from AutoDesk has a built-in spur gear generator. You just feed it the specifications and it can generate the .stl file that the 3D-printer needs.

Over here it is possible to get access to a 3D-printer at public libraries and maker-spaces, though most places want you to complete a short intro course first, so you know the basics and don't damage the machine.

I bet if you new the exact spec of all the gears you need, you could find someone to print them for you, for a modest fee.

You could even try the "Can you make something for me" forum here:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/can-you-make-something-for-me.452/

or the "3D-printer" forum here:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/3d-printers.224/

-brino
Thx Brino,

I found someone with a very high quality 3D printer.
The only problem is that I need the exact and accurate drawings (if possible digital) to fabricate them.
I have the info like the amount of teeth and the modul (if I'm right) it's 1,5.

should I ask somebody in the other forums that you mentioned?

Thx,

I found someone with a very high quality 3D printer.
The only problem is that I need the exact and accurate drawings (if possible digital) to fabricate them.
I have the info like the amount of teeth and the modul (if I'm right) it's 1,5.

should I ask somebody in the other forums that you mentioned?

Hi Matthias,

If all you need is the *.stl files generated I can do that for you.

I am using the free version of Autodesk Fusion-360 and it has a built-in gear generator.
I will need full gear specifications.
For metric gears that should be module, tooth count, gear thickness, hub diameter.
There may be a couple other little things like root clearance, etc.

Let me run the tool and I will post back with a screen-shots of the pop-up window.
I should have some time this weekend to generate files.

Perhaps we should take one or two gears thru the entire process (file generation and printing) before we jump into generating all the files?
Unless your access to the 3D-printer works better to have all the files available at one time.
You tell me.

Brian

Back