Gears

dlane

Active User
Registered
When I got my SB 10L these came with it, can anybody tell me what lathe they are for ?,
Holes are 5/8" ,3/8 thick , bull gear 1 3/16 " hole, all Boston gear ,want to eather sell them or repurpose
Any ideas.
Thanks

image.jpeg

If you care to sell that 120 tooth I would be interested. I would re-purpose for indexing.

Thanks
michael

I kinda wonder if maybe those gears were purchased to use for some custom threads on some lathe. With a 5/8" bore they would fit on a Logan, although you wouldn't get the gear cover closed if using some of the larger ones. The only thing that is odd is that it appears that many of those gears have double keyways, not necessary on a Logan, but might be necessary on another brand of machine that also used a 5/8" bore. Logans used a 5/32" key, sort of an odd size. You might want to check the width of the keyslots to see what they are.

Aren't atlas gears double keyed?

The double key way gears from Boston Gear are standard "pick" gears or "change gears" they used to sell. They made special bushings that were double keyed so you could compound gears together for special gearing for many types of machines, just not for only lathes. Mainly for gear cutting machines, thread milling machines, and of course, lathes. I seen special machines setup cutting spirals using change gears. This has all gone away, to the use of electronics now days.

The double key way gears from Boston Gear are standard "pick" gears or "change gears" they used to sell.

Actually still sell, in one tooth increments both in 20 and 14.5 degree pressure angle and multiple widths. I have bought some as recently as a few months ago.

Back