• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Gemco 24" Shaper in VA

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

cjtoombs

Active User
Registered
This looks like a pretty nice shaper. It apparently has some problem, although I can't tell exactly what it is from either the description or the pictures. I expect that with the problem it has and it's size, it will probably go cheap, cheap enough to take a chance on being able to fix it.

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Large shapers are a drug on the market, worth very little money; too big for your average garage, and industry does not use them; personally, I like them, and have a Gould & Eberhardt 20-24 universal shaper built 1957and nearly in new condition. The 20 -24 means a 24" stroke on a 20" size machine. Universal means that the knee has the capability to swivel in two planes; in line with the stroke and at 90 degrees to the stroke, in addition, of course, the vise also swivels.

cjtoombs

Active User
Registered
If I lived in that area and didn't already have a Cincinnati with identical specs I would be bidding on that one. Since I already have 5 shapers and 3 planers I always hope the really good deals are very far away.

[6]
[5] [7]