Gerstner machinist chest

I would keep the box and enjoy it just as it is. It has earned all the 'patina', scratches, paint, and whatever. It is old, so it should look old. It was used, so it should look used. Just my opinion, and worth every penny you paid for it... ;^)
I think the paint takes away a lot of its dignity, it deserves better.

X3 with those experienced in tool box restoration; don't expect to make much profit if labor is factored in.

jack vines, who's restored several, but now only cleans them and puts them into service.

So my questions?
The seven drawer configuration is something of a mystery. I can't find any listing for a Gerstner seven drawer. Does anyone know about this?
Should I keep or sell?
Should I restore or leave as is?
Is it a genuine Gerstner box? (pretty sure it is, but would appreciate a confirmation)
Yes, it is a Gerstner but it is not ultra-rare. You can do anything you want with it. If you happen to like high-gloss pink enamel paint, go for it! Use it as is--why not? Hit it with the belt sander...no, I can't recommend that. ;) Paint stripper is surely fair game, however.

As others have said, you won't get rich selling it. OTOH, it sounds like you got a good haul of tools with it so you've already done well.

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc, ...

Craig

@barcuna What a nice find! A great box. Since you are here, it is likely you can use it in your shop. Do anything to it that increases your pride of ownership. That box has a lot of history, and now you are a part of it.

If you take care of it, it could become a heirloom for your descendants. If it were mine, I'd begin using it right away, slowly restoring it over time for personal pride...

Holy smokes those boxes are expensive new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to all for the excellent opinions and advice. I appreciate it very much.

So, I've decided to keep and restore it, for the time being, anyway. Started stripping the hardware and the old felt and began cleaning the wood. I do want to remove the paint splatters. A little too much personality there, lol.

Any advice on removing the paint splatters? I tried a dab of Dawn liquid on my finger tip and then the same with mineral spirits. It won't budge. Seems to be extremely old and well cured. Would a heat gun be ok?

What's a good way to clean the wood? It appears to be mostly just dirty, accounting for the dark color. The drawers and interior wood are a beautiful golden oak color. I would like to get the whole box back to that color or at least just get rid of the dirt.

How to repair the veneer/leatherette on the top? It's all there, just some cracks and bubbles. How about an iron with some buffers (cardboard, towel, etc.), between it and the surface?

Back