[How do I?] Get 3 phase

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
My wife has a carpet binding business and due to the landlord selling the building my wife has had to relocate. New warehouse has 220v 200a panel with no 3phase.
We have a electric 36volt hyster forklift with a 36v charger. Problem is charger says 3ph input. 411A50EE-A583-417E-8CCD-81819FC438A8.jpeg
sorry I know bad picture it was the wifeo_O
Anyways what do I need to do to be able to hook this charger up? Would I need a transformer? A different charger ? The terrible thing is forklift is no good without a charge. Dam batteries :(

It should run on 240 volts single phase also, it will just take a bit longer to charge. Just connect the power to two of the 3 input terminals.
-M

I would look into a static phase converter

I don’t know if that will power it. Like a vfd does it need a mechanical load like a motor spinning? The charger to me is a resistive load.
I will state that I am no electrician! I know enough to be dangerous when it comes to this kind of stuff I am no good.

It should run on 240 volts single phase also, it will just take a bit longer to charge. Just connect the power to two of the 3 input terminals.
-M
I thought maybe the same thing but again I don’t know and don’t wanna burn the place down.
I’m gonna call the place she bought from to see if they offer a 220 charger. But if there is a work around I can do I am more than willing. I have some good union electrician buddies between them and me we should be able to get it done.

From https://www.forkliftaction.com/forum/using-single-phase-charger-instead-of-triple-phase.aspx?t=6244

If the 3 phase charger has 3 identical transformers you wire each transformer individually to single phase. You take the 2 feed wires going into each transformer and connect them to the 2 legs of the single phase. Each transformer is done this way. You set the contactor up with 2 legs comming in and the 2 legs coming out will be going to each transformer. You must adjust the transformer voltage taps to the proper voltage of the single phase. And you must make sure the control transformer for the on/off relay is set to the proper voltage also. If the charger doesn't have 3 identical transformers then I don't think it can be done.

Static converter won't work in this instance. The 3rd leg is only briefly powered by the starting circuit, then drops out when the motor comes up to speed. No motor in this situation, so the SPC doesn't drop out. Probably burn it out.

I would buy a single phase charger and sell the old charger to recoup some costs. Looks like they are about 300 online for a cheap one. Or they sell for about $50 each used on the auction by me regularly.

Have you checked with the power company to see if you can get it to the building? May not be the cheapest option but would allow for other 3ph equipment.

That is a real problem with 3 phase equipment. For a hobbyist, a little "jack legging" will get a 3 phase machine up and running. A commercial application is a whole different "ball of wax". It either runs or replace it. There's no in between.

From the nameplate showing either 240 or 480 volt input, there probably is a transformer on the front end. Since it is not a magnetic device, beyond the transformer, it quite likely can be run single phase. At reduced output, of course, likely at 57%.(1/1.73) But there is the matter of control circuits that may well need reconfiguring. That will take an electrician that is knowledgable of controls. A wireman won't cut it. Having 50 plus years as an industrial controls man, I have a low opinion of most wiremen. But that's a different issue.

From a commercial perspective, if there are no other 3 phase loads anticipated, probably the best perspective will be to replace the charger with a single phase version. 3 phase power in a retrofit application will be costly. The corporate accounts will have the final word there. It would be your option to attempt to reconfigure the existing charger, use it as a trade in, or sell it.

Static converter won't work in this instance. The 3rd leg is only briefly powered by the starting circuit, then drops out when the motor comes up to speed. No motor in this situation, so the SPC doesn't drop out. Probably burn it out.

Good to know thanks

Back