Get More From Your DRO - CNC Like Repeatability on Your Manual Lathe

BladesIIB

https://www.youtube.com/c/BladesIIB
H-M Platinum Supporter
Whether you have a new DRO or are thinking about getting one, I hope this video offers some insight into the true power they offer on a manual lathe.

I see a lot of videos about installing a DRO on your metal lathe, but I could not find many that really show you how to Maximize your DRO. What is tool offset, and what are some different ways to plan for it and work through it. How do you put together what I call the "Formula" for your part so you can get CNC like repeatability and speed up the production of parts. I call it a formula because Step 1 + Step 2 etc. = Your Part.

How do you write out the steps so you can create multiple parts without measuring each step every time? I am hoping this video will help you do that. Just because your Metal Lathe is manual does not mean you can't think and operate some aspects of it like it is CNC. DRO's and Quick Change Tool Posts give you super powers on your manual lathe, make sure you are taking full advantage of them.

There are sections in the video, if you look in the YouTub description there are links directly to them.

Understanding Tool Offset - 1:25
Programming your DRO for Tool Offset - 6:37
DRO Formula Overview - 13:45
DRO Formula and Part Creation Step by Step - 21:05

Back