Getting a little more Y travel, looking for some additional ideas

I added a 2" thick aluminum block between the column and bed, and another between the head and column on my G0704 when I converted it to CNC. I have 7" of Y travel now.

It's a pretty common mod for the G0704, which I believe is similar to the PM25.

Like this one:

Last edited:
So far, the piece of rubber sheet I had in mind has evaded my search efforts. I remember seeing it last summer, but darn if I know where it is now. Went to where I thought I saw it last, but it's either not there, or it's camouflaged quite well! I'll continue to look for it - as it's probably in plain view.

So far, the piece of rubber sheet I had in mind has evaded my search efforts. I remember seeing it last summer, but darn if I know where it is now. Went to where I thought I saw it last, but it's either not there, or it's camouflaged quite well! I'll continue to look for it - as it's probably in plain view.
Glad to hear that . I'm not the only one that has things go MIA in the garage . :grin: As soon as you replace it , the original will magically appear .

I added a 2" thick aluminum block between the column and bed, and another between the head and column on my G0704 when I converted it to CNC. I have 7" of Y travel now.

It's a pretty common mod for the G0704, which I believe is similar to the PM25.
So the first block gives some Z height, and the second gives more Y travel? Just asking to try to understand the modification.

If you could share a picture or two that would help.

The lower block, between the column and bed adds 2" to the Y.

The one between the head and column keeps the spindle centered in the Y travel range. It extends the head forward, to it's original location after the lower spacer moved the column back 2".

On mine, the extra 2" accommodates the vise overhanging the back of the table.

There no change to the Z height.
The spacers basically move the column rearward, 2".

The lower block, between the column and bed adds 2" to the Y.

The one between the head and column keeps the spindle centered in the Y travel range. It extends the head forward, to it's original location after the lower spacer moved the column back 2".

On mine, the extra 2" accommodates the vise overhanging the back of the table.

There no change to the Z height.
The spacers basically move the column rearward, 2".
Thanks for the explanation! As you could tell, I was a bit confused.
How thick is the lower block? Still don't have a good mental picture of this, but getting there.

It's 2" thick.

I also milled the head spacer at a slight angle to correct some Y axis tram error. It's been about 5 years since I did this mod, but I seem to remember putting a .003 feeler gauge between the spacer and vise when I faced it, to correct the tram issue.

I'll fire up MS paint, and paint a better explanation.

Glad to hear that . I'm not the only one that has things go MIA in the garage . :grin: As soon as you replace it , the original will magically appear .
Finding a dark material in the recesses of a non well lit garage, usually doesn't go all that well. This rubber isn't all that big, might be 9-12 square feet sort of folded up like a small blanket. I'll stumble over it sometime. Probably this summer!

It's 2" thick.

I also milled the head spacer at a slight angle to correct some Y axis tram error. It's been about 5 years since I did this mod, but I seem to remember putting a .003 feeler gauge between the spacer and vise when I faced it, to correct the tram issue.
So doesn't the 2" high column spacer raise the head? Then you lower the head, and offset in the Y direction with the second block?

Maybe our mills are different. My column bolts to the base with 4 bolts. Any spacer between the column and the base would raise the head.

I think I understand the solution well enough to implement this if I need to.

I added a 2" thick aluminum block between the column and bed, and another between the head and column ...

Does it affect the rigidity of the machine ? using steel will be better I believe ?

Back