Getting frustrated

I had one
For those of you who really have a problem with remembering, you can buy chuck keys that are spring loaded and will eject from the chuck as soon as you let go of them. Cheap insurance!

Ted
I had one of those spring loaded chuck wrenches once, it was a PITA, finally took it off and Sh-- canned it. Once you are hit once by a key or chuck wrench, you will remember to remove it without fail, if you survive the incident.

So far, anyway, I am fortunate to have that same pesky voice yammering in my head-

"Tighten the drain plug, dammit"
"Tighten the oil filter, dammit"
"Pour some oil back in it, dammit"
"Remove the chuck key, dammit"
"Tighten the tool holder, dammit"
"Put your keys in your pocket, dammit"
"Turn down the furnace on your way out, dammit"

yada, yada, yada

When the voice stops, or I start ignoring it, we are gonna have to have another "talk". I hope it won't be at the ER:eek 2:

The reason why you are forgetting such a simple and important thing is that there is something else on your mind that is distracting you. I don't know what it is, but you have to address it before you decide to work on the lathe. It is that simple. Just turn around and do something else. Like make granola. It takes about 45 minutes of sitting, socializing and stirring. I have gotten burned way more cooking than blacksmithing. In fact the only time I was seriously burned while blacksmithing was when I was chatting (swapping lies) with a bunch of smiths at a conference. An unattended coke forge with a clinker got too hot and started spitting lava like Vesuvius. Everybody ran, but I was unlucky and still have the scar years later. Anyway, lathe time is prime time. When you sense something going on, do something else!!!

So far, anyway, I am fortunate to have that same pesky voice yammering in my head-

"Tighten the drain plug, dammit"
"Tighten the oil filter, dammit"
"Pour some oil back in it, dammit"
"Remove the chuck key, dammit"
"Tighten the tool holder, dammit"
"Put your keys in your pocket, dammit"
"Turn down the furnace on your way out, dammit"
Hmmm, I Never heard of anyone named "dammit!" Is that a traditional family name or is it just a loving nick name given to you by family when you were growing up? :laughing:

Hmmm, I Never heard of anyone named "dammit!" Is that a traditional family name or is it just a loving nick name given to you by family when you were growing up? :laughing:

i thought my name was God Dammit until i was 14 :grin big:

i made the mistake of leaving the key in the chuck of my first mini lathe-
what cured me was seeing the indentation of the key handle in the opposing wall, after i hit the go button
now i'm more concerned with were the key is, rather than anything else
live and learn

I am trying to be more cognizant of the key, 99.9% I pull it out, and put it down. I think that I think it's done, and don't consciously make sure while I look at what else I'm going to screw up if I don't look. Trying to run with the ball before catching it comes to mind. This session here is helping to reinforce the consciously checking.

I like the idea of never taking it out of your hand. (well, maybe before bedtime)
I have made a habit of looking at the chuck before I engage the spindle.
There are videos out there that deal with high school kids trying to hold the chuck by the key. It's ugly.
There are others that deal with human beings getting wrapped up in the chuck.
Be careful.

The lathe is one piece of equipment that has me scared to death of it. When I did the start up routine, after more than a year of owning mine (PM 1228) running up the RPM gave me the Willies, and I did not touch it again for months. I'm not going to make any excuses for stupid mistakes, I am getting less anxious standing next to it now, but haven't been north of 500 RPM yet. LOL

I get it. I shy away from high speeds if I can.
My 15" lathe runs up to 2,000 RPM. I have never had it past 1.300.

Back