Getting my feet wet in the sea of gear cutting!

I started in high school with an excellent teacher in Napa, Ca., Paul Goldberg; from there I went into apprenticeship at Kaiser Steel's Fabrication plant also in Napa, at age 19, and was there for 7 years, and after another job, went into business for myself for about 35 years, doing general machine work and products for out wine industry; about 7 years ago, I sold out and retired, but took most of my gear tools, capability, and equipment home with me. I missed out on the Navy and other services during the Vietnam era due to high blood pressure ---

Best you let me know what you want, I have cutters in most pitches from #3 down to maybe #40DP nearly all are 14 -1/2 deg PA

Thanks for the offer. A friend's Dad just sold me a set of 8 - 14DP 14 1/2 PA pretty cheap. They're not B&S but don't look like junk.

I'd appreciate your opinion. I really have no idea what I should have, since I'm just basically a beginner.

For instance, if you had a machine that used a particular pitch for change gears, you might want cutters for that pitch.

If I had 10% of John’s, (Benmychree) knowledge, I’d be a genius.

I'd appreciate your opinion. I really have no idea what I should have, since I'm just basically a beginner.
What you SHOULD have, is what you need at the time when you need it!
I have a Taiwanese lathe, M3 and M1.5 pitch gears, so have a set of each module. If I am making something, then that
is the pitch. I have done some odd gears, in which case, I have made the cutter to suit. Most of the gears I have made are Low RPM use, and as such grinding,heat treatment is generally not required.
Buy,what you need when you need it. Otherwise you'll have a million dollars worth of tooling and.......
Sometime in the newYear, we'll be pulling down a Marshall Roller. Retubing, and the main drive pinion gear, at a guess 12" diameter, 4" wide, cast iron, have a crack at casting and machining a new one. Again low RPM, so tolerance will be allowably wide.

Back