Gingery Shaper

horty

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys, thought I should show you my Gingery Shaper.
I'll be using it soon to cut the notches in the new tool bar I plan on making.

Have had it done for about a month, people that see is wonder why the shaper and not a mill, well,
I have $248.77 in it including the motor, a mill might be A LITTLE more that, plus this was more fun to build than the lathe, and that's what I like to do, and its fun to watch running.

If you look at the bottom left front by the off/on emergency switch, there is a little push button switch to toggle the ram as I'm setting it up, other wise it off-on-off-on-off-on, I ran one many years ago and wished that would of had a toggle switch.

Need to build a good vice yet to hold parts so that on the next to do list.

Thanks,
Tim

Couldn't get all the videos to upload, this is the best I can do..

Attachments

• Shaper 1-converted.mp4
    4.2 MB
  • Shaper 2-converted.mp4
    8.9 MB
  • Shaper 3-converted.mp4
    6.1 MB
  • Shaper 4-converted.mp4
    16.5 MB
Looks great. I have a 1901 vintage Steptoe 14" shaper, and love to just watch it go. I find just turning the pulley works better then trying to bump the motor. I would also suggest enclosing the main gear, otherwise you will end up with lots of shavings inside. Mine is enclosed, and still had a ton of shavings mixed in with the grease inside the housing.

How are you lubricating the gear and arm? Looks on the dry side to me. But if you have a pressure lube system, it could be right, I know mine, not a master of shapers.

Hi, didnt realize some videos are sideways, or maybe its just me...
Anyway, I have been putting a drop or 2 of gear lube on that area every few minutes, and your right about the chips getting inside, I have some real heavy duty, black nylon that wont tear, even hard to cut, that I need to put in that front area,
I did start out using the pulley to move the ram during set up but these arthritic hands, spine, knees, elbows takes it toll on me, hard to explain the pain of rheumatoid arthritis unless you have it I guess, some days I need to put alot of alcohol on by body from the inside out, that seems to help for awhile..:)

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited:
Unfortunatly, I'm no stranger to pain either. Mine is one big grease coated mess when I open the door. I have been thinking of several ways to do a pressurized lube system, but still need to work out the details, too many other priorities in life right now.

Hi, didnt realize some videos are sideways, or maybe its just me...

Home-built shaper and you've mastered anti-gravity too, Awesome!

But seriously Tim, that looks like a well built and very sturdy machine.
Nice job!

-brino

Thanks
Home-built shaper and you've mastered anti-gravity too, Awesome!

But seriously Tim, that looks like a well built and very sturdy machine.
Nice job!

-brino
Thanks brino, It works pretty good, I need to do a little cleaning up of it here and there but it does what it suppose to do.
It really cut that table level and accurate, its just a fun machine to use.
Do You have one?
I was talking to a old guy a few days ago about shapers, he said he has seen people throw factory made shapers in the river to get rid of them and just a few years ago he hauled 3 atlas shapers to the iron junk yard and where working perfectly a few weeks before that.
What a waste...
Oh well, I have one I made, but he did say when he finds some more good ones I can have them, so that would be nice to have a few sitting around if they aren't the size of a car.....

BTW: A friend gave me some china made HHS tool bits, have you tried any? they seem soft and dont even feel like steel when grinding them, but they cost me nothing and seem to work well with alum but not to well on steel.

Thanks,
Tim

As the newbie in the crowd , what does a shaper do vs a mill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As the newbie in the crowd , what does a shaper do vs a mill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A shaper basically is cheaper for tooling based on hand ground HSS tooling (price per tool) also is a pretty versatile machine. Internal key ways, flat surfaces, gears, dovetails, all with relative cheap tool bits that can be reground at home. Not the fastest compared to a mill but darn fun to watch. I have heard it said that you can make anything on a shaper except money, but as a hobbyist it doesn't matter much in my opinion.

Almost forgot, Good looking machine Horty! I was about ready to build a Gingery shaper like yours but with no castings but i ran across a Rhodes 7" shaper from a member here that was fairly close by and bought that instead. It will be a permanent tool in my shop even if i dont use it every day.

I have to admit watching that machine run is hypnotic. What an awesome build @horty !

Back