Glacern's New Universal Speed Handles ("Unicrank")

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Us hobbyists know that speed handles for 4" Kurt style vises (9/16" hex) aren't that easy to find, 5" vises (5/8" hex) are even harder to find. Often need to make em yourself of find custom made ones on ebay. I even went through the trouble of having a small batch of speed handles made for 5" vises a while back & sold the extras here. Edge Technology makes em for 4" vises but not for 5" vises.

Got an email from Glacern about their new speed handles that they call the UNICRANK. Semi universal in which you buy the socket size that you need for your vise. Kind of spendy but they look high quality. If I didn't have my speed handle & spare already I'd consider buying one.

2 socket.jpg
1 socket.jpg

Well dang it, they don't have the socket for the 4" vise.
Have emailed them for details, will update this thread.

Oh forgot to mention, for this month (ends Friday) one of their March Madness sales is get a free Unicrank with any vise purchase.

marchmadness2021.jpg

Last edited:
Well dang it, they don't have the socket for the 4" vise.
Have emailed them for details, will update this thread.

Hopefully they'll be able to get you one. Yes, please post pics here if you get one!!!

I'm not a huge fan of orange tools but I must say the orange anodizing GMT is using looks very nice for these handles! Would look awesome on your Glacern vise! I like Edge Technology products but I like these new GMT handles much more than the Edge ones.

And no, I have no affiliation with GMT, just a happy customer & trying to help people spend their money. It's been a while. :big grin:

Thank you sir, I will. I'm very happy with the vise but the stock handle is just awful.

the stock handle is just awful.

I hear ya. The stock handle is good if you really need to crank down on it but they are so cumbersome to use! I don't think I've ever used mine. When I ordered my vise I bought a speed handle for it immediately. I don't ever even need to use the outer hole for more leverage with the stuff I work on.

Used to be nice & shiny with the bare machined finish. Problem was since the handle is not a revolving handle, as you use it your hand will "polish" the handle turning your hand black. I hated that so when I got the batch made I took them to a local anodizer & had them anodized clear. No more black hands!

20200123_172536.jpg

I hear ya. The stock handle is good if you really need to crank down on it but they are so cumbersome to use! I don't think I've ever used mine. When I ordered my vise I bought a speed handle for it immediately. I don't ever even need to use the outer hole for more leverage with the stuff I work on.

Used to be nice & shiny with the bare machined finish. Problem was since the handle is not a revolving handle, as you use it your hand will "polish" the handle turning your hand black. I hated that so when I got the batch made I took them to a local anodizer & had them anodized clear. No more black hands!

View attachment 359477

How thick is that handle Will?
I have a slab of 1/2” 6061 and the same in mild steel that I could turn into a handle, press a couple of sockets into place and voila!

How thick is that handle Will?
I have a slab of 1/2” 6061 and the same in mild steel that I could turn into a handle, press a couple of sockets into place and voila!

Mine is 3/4" thick but it doesn't need to be. Lots of guys have made their own using sockets, either by welding or pinning them. Here's a couple of threads that might give you some ideas.

I use a socket, screwdriver adapter and a small rechargeable screwdriver for the big adjustments and the klunky handle to snug it up. I think it was a $15 screwdriver. It sits in a little charger by the machine. Handy to have near by for that and other stuff.

Where can i find a 3" vise?

Back