Glass or Magnetic?

Arcstar*

Registered
Registered
Hey guys,

My Bridgeport Textron DRO finally crapped out. Question is, magnetic or glass scales for my new one?

Attachments

• received_2664592463697190.jpeg
    received_2664592463697190.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 15
What was there originally? Has it been good enough, or do you need more whatever? If it's been good enough, then replace with something similar, since the installation may go easier.

Depends on how much you want to spend, the cheaper magnetic scales/DRO's tend to be quite inaccurate despite the quoted resolution of the reader head. Lots of posts on problems with the Ditron magnetic scales, and probably applies to most of the generic. Glass scales use a grating system that in most cases is accurate despite the price range, but can suffer from poor lip seals and the data transmission from the head. Better magnetic scales from Electronica or SRA, hold their accuracy over distance. I use and EL700 with magnet scales on my mill and it has performed very well, other than not a big fan of a touch screen. Magnetic scales are smaller and less finicky to install in my experience. They are considered to be less prone to coolant damage, but can become erratic if a metallic chip gets between the reader and the tape. The better heads do have wipers on either side of the head. On the mill I like to use the graphical DRO heads with soft keys for different DRO functions. I also find them easier to read in different light conditions and some have summing of two axis. Also nice to have the feed rates displayed, etc. If you want just numbers and less expensive DRO I would go with glass scales. Quite a few people have bought the ES-12B with magnetic scales from Machine DRO in the UK, my understanding is that Easson may no longer be producing these DRO's, but they work very well (I use one on my lathe).

You can also sum the Z and U axis on these displays.
20161217_125527.jpg

FWIW, just the other day pontiac429 was complaining that his magnetic scales were being thrown off by stuff like his mag base. Glass scales are not affected that way. I just upgraded to a 3axis Ditron w/1um glass scales for $400. By just I’m mean I finished the last of the install on Monday. So not had any extended use yet but they work and I’m hoping to get some time to check them against my 123 blocks.

I like the glass scales but they're all I've ever known. Mounted with the slot down and a cover over the top I've never had the slightest issue in 4 years. I have the 5 micron.

are the existing scales compatible with a new dro head unit?
They come up on eBay once and a while but none currently. I've already replaced the monitor. I would replace the scales but I feel like I'll just continue to chase problem around with this one.

Depends on how much you want to spend, the cheaper magnetic scales/DRO's tend to be quite inaccurate despite the quoted resolution of the reader head. Lots of posts on problems with the Ditron magnetic scales, and probably applies to most of the generic. Glass scales use a grating system that in most cases is accurate despite the price range, but can suffer from poor lip seals and the data transmission from the head. Better magnetic scales from Electronica or SRA, hold their accuracy over distance. I use and EL700 with magnet scales on my mill and it has performed very well, other than not a big fan of a touch screen. Magnetic scales are smaller and less finicky to install in my experience. They are considered to be less prone to coolant damage, but can become erratic if a metallic chip gets between the reader and the tape. The better heads do have wipers on either side of the head. On the mill I like to use the graphical DRO heads with soft keys for different DRO functions. I also find them easier to read in different light conditions and some have summing of two axis. Also nice to have the feed rates displayed, etc. If you want just numbers and less expensive DRO I would go with glass scales. Quite a few people have bought the ES-12B with magnetic scales from Machine DRO in the UK, my understanding is that Easson may no longer be producing these DRO's, but they work very well (I use one on my lathe).

You can also sum the Z and U axis on these displays.
View attachment 460422
This is some really great information. Thank you so much for taking the time to share. I was originally planning on getting a less expensive one that just displayed numbers but after reading what you've written here I may go with one with a little more functionality.

FWIW, just the other day pontiac429 was complaining that his magnetic scales were being thrown off by stuff like his mag base. Glass scales are not affected that way. I just upgraded to a 3axis Ditron w/1um glass scales for $400. By just I’m mean I finished the last of the install on Monday. So not had any extended use yet but they work and I’m hoping to get some time to check them against my 123 blocks.
Yes I saw his post. I glanced over it because I wasn't having a problem with my dro. I'll circle back now and read it a little more closely.

What was there originally? Has it been good enough, or do you need more whatever? If it's been good enough, then replace with something similar, since the installation may go easier.
They have been great. I really have no complaints but it's old and I've replaced the monitor already now the Y scale is on the fritz... They are Bridgeport ThinLine scales and after a search couldn't find any.

mksj had a pretty convincing reply for something with a little more functionality.

Back