Glass Platen for Jet 2x42 Belt Sander (and Mobile Stand)

I've probably said this too many times but I have little space. No dedicated space for lots of things so I put them away when not in use. Built a stand for the belt sander using a bench grinder stand & mobile base. For the past year it's been sitting on a little table (what the drill press is sitting on in the pics). Now I just need to figure out where it's parking space is going to be. :big grin:

View attachment 335343View attachment 335344View attachment 335345

Came with a hook for the power cord which was unexpected. Gave me an idea to maybe add more hooks for my extra belts. Not sure yet.
View attachment 335346

WIP pics:

See, no room! :D Had to roll the bandsaw outside. You'd laugh if you saw how I got the 10ft square tubing home.
View attachment 335364
View attachment 335348

This plate was too large to cut in my bandsaw in the horizontal postion unless I made multiple smaller cuts. Didn't want to waste material like that so I cut with the angle grinder then made the final clean up cuts with the bandsaw.
View attachment 335349View attachment 335365View attachment 335366View attachment 335363View attachment 335350View attachment 335372

Absolute widest my bandsaw can fit between the jaws. Fixed jaw moved to the outer mounting position.
View attachment 335351

Cookie cutters are great for marking radii that aren't critical. My radius gage set only goes up to 1/2". Not my idea but I thought it was a great idea.
View attachment 335352View attachment 335354View attachment 335368

Had to notch the mounting plate.
View attachment 335355View attachment 335356

Delrin stand offs.View attachment 335357View attachment 335359

Needed to remove the disc side to access one of the mounting holes. Sure I could have just put the nuts on top instead of on the bottom but it looks much cleaner this way.View attachment 335360View attachment 335361View attachment 335362

Thanks for looking! :)
You're a genius.

Good morning, Genius (er, Will). I have a question. I am about to order the pyroceram to start the platen build on my Jet combination belt/disc sander. Mine's essentially the same as yours - a good machine in spite of all the attendant nuisances. Your modification is a great enhancement. Jet ought to hire you as a test pilot for their products.

What thickness mild steel did you use? It looks like 1/2", but it's hard to tell with certainty. Also, I'm curious if there is anything you would change if you did it over?

Regards,
Terry

Good morning, Genius (er, Will). I have a question. I am about to order the pyroceram to start the platen build on my Jet combination belt/disc sander. Mine's essentially the same as yours - a good machine in spite of all the attendant nuisances. Your modification is a great enhancement. Jet ought to hire you as a test pilot for their products.

What thickness mild steel did you use? It looks like 1/2", but it's hard to tell with certainty. Also, I'm curious if there is anything you would change if you did it over?

Regards,
Terry
Terry:

I can't speak for Will obviously, but I would like to vouch for his platen design.

I have the Craftsman equivalent to your Jet 2X42 machine, and recently burned up the motor. I replaced it with a new driver and upgraded the belt platen while I was at it. I designed the platen just as Will describes it here - and it works great. I would do it the same way again.

FWIW, the only difference between the way I built the platen and Will's design is that I used flat head hex drive screws instead of SHCS to attach the backing for the PyroCeram to the base. And that's because I used 3/8" steel, and the counter bore for a 10-32 SHCS would have been a little too deep for my liking.

HTH, Bill
1 Craftsman 2X42 Grinder.jpg

6 Craftsman 2X42 Grinder.jpg8 Craftsman 2X42 Grinder.jpg

Last edited:

Regards,
Terry

The question wasn't directed at me, but I used 1/2" x 2" flat steel bar on my Jet 2x42. See message #14 on this thread for pictures.

Reactions: tjb
Terry:

I can't speak for Will obviously, but I would like to vouch for his platen design.

I have the Craftsman equivalent to your Jet 2X42 machine, and recently burned up the motor. I replaced it with a new driver and upgraded the belt platen while I was at it. I designed the platen just as Will describes it here - and it works great. I would do it the same way again.

FWIW, the only difference between the way I built the platen and Will's design is that I used flat head hex drive screws instead of SHCS to attach the backing for the PyroCeram to the base. And that's because I used 3/8" steel, and the counter bore for a 10-32 SHCS would have been a little too deep for my liking.

HTH, Bill
View attachment 340034

View attachment 340035View attachment 340036
Thanks, Bill. That's helpful information. Very nice build on yours. I have a sufficiently large chunk of 1/2" x 2" cold-rolled, so I will probably use it for mine. I may, however, do the same thing you did with flat head screws instead of counter sunk - mainly because it's what I have in the shop.

Yours looks great! Glad to hear you're pleased with it. That's encouraging.

Regards,
Terry

The question wasn't directed at me, but I used 1/2" x 2" flat steel bar on my Jet 2x42. See message #14 on this thread for pictures.
Glad to hear your information as well, 49er. I saw your build when I read through the thread. That was one of the reasons I bookmarked it for future reference. Your follow-up build was an encouragement to me. Good confirmation that the design was repeatable. Hope mine turns out as nice as yours. Great job!

I'm not sure it's the same vendor that Will used, but I found one on ebay that would cut 2" stock of pyroceram to length. I ordered two pieces of 2" x 6" this morning. I'm glad I went ahead and did it: He sent me a message letting me know that after tomorrow, he would be away through October 26. He got it cut and mailed today. Whew!

Regards,
Terry

Will,

Did you see my questions above? Second paragraph on post #32. My pyroceram ought to be here a week from today.

Regards,
Terry

Will,

Did you see my questions above? Second paragraph on post #32. My pyroceram ought to be here a week from today.

Regards,
Terry

Oh man, very sorry Terry! I went on vacation out of state on the 8th for 5-6 days. Had no cell service at the lake where we were camped at. For some reason I did not get (or see) any notifications for the new replies in this thread. I just happened to come to my projects forum to look for something & saw that I had unread posts.

Probably too late now but yes, I used 1/2" thick 1018. If I were to make it again I'd probably make it exactly the same way. Been using it as is ever since & I've been more than happy with it, can't think of anything I would change or add. I did originally plan to make a support bracket for the top end but I decided it was unnecessary.

Lake Powell?

1603377516983.png

I need to make a table/base for my Kalamazoo. Mine is the 2X48-2X42?

Back