Go big

MtnBiker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Haas had a sale on cutting tools (like a massive 75% off sale). Picked up a 4" face mill which came with cat 40. Got my 1.5" R8 arbor from Suncoast. Wow was that thing ever BIG. Also started a tear down and cleaning on the new Super Spacer. Machinist friend didn't need it and let it go for cheap. I'm stoked - works really well. Just needs a good cleaning and some new grease. Oh, and when I tried to pick this up...oooof, no idea it was that heavy (160 lbs with the chuck mounted). Seems this hobby takes hold just when heavy stuff starts to feel heavier.

HAAS Face Mill.jpgSuper Spacer.jpgSuper Spacer Chuck.jpg

Looks very similar to the Iscar I picked up years ago and I also use the Sowa R8 arbor. Is there a seat adjustment next too the insert or is then notches for coolant jets. I also picked up another Haas 2.5" boring head that I setup for steel, thanks to David Best mentioning the sale. The Vertex Super-Dex are very nice, and useful, but darn heavy. I keep mine on a roller table near my mill so it is more of a lateral move to the mill table.

The 4" face mill gives an incredibly nice finish in aluminum, this is mine milling 7075. I would wager that the inserts are not interchangeable, but with 8 cutting edges they should last a very long time.
Iscar 4 inch face mill.jpg

I believe cooling jets. And yes...thanks to David Best. Total score on the Haas stuff. I like the look of your setup Mark. I need more light in close.

That was the last sale, not a current one correct? That was a score :encourage:

That was the last sale, not a current one correct? That was a score :encourage:
Last. Haas was pumping their new tooling line. David Best did a test. They all cut very nicely.

There is a sale going on now too, but not as good as David's one, but only face mill bodies, and inserts are separate.

Back