Going to look at a Clausing 5914 lathe and things that I should check

Yes, the turret setup has its own way system, so does not cause any wear the main lathe bed.

If you get a replacement tailstock you will need to carefully check and either shim it up or machine it down so it is on the same vertical centerline as the headstock. Any 59XX would potentially fit, but none on ebay at the moment, and other clausing tailstocks run around $500 so not cheap, and need to figure that into the equation. I'd hold out for a more complete lathe.

So what was the outcome on this lathe ? What was he asking for it ? Just curious , I possibly could use it as a donor .

I should be going to look at it this weekend . Has it as a package deal , a Clausing mill 5920 , some tool and original vise , which looks nice from the pictures supposedly from the original owner . $3200 for both in his ad , I asked if I he would sell the mill separate and he said $2000 , I'm guessing the mill will be very nice but the lathe might not be worth the trouble . I don't need another project . I would think those prices are " asking " I'll have the cash and trailer when I look so that might help negotiate a better price . There are 2 more 5920 mills within 2 hours , $1950 & $2000 so I'm guessing that's where he getting his price .

It looks like he sold the mill on ebay a couple days ago. https://tinyurl.com/wagfx6v There's a Rockwell mill on craigslist too if one of those would interest you. I see you're in Bangor. That's where I bought my mill several years ago.

I have the Rockwell vertical knee mill; I think its a step up on the Clausing mill, as it has R8 spindle and tapered gibs.
(I do like the Clausing 5900 series lathes)

Nothing on the lathe . :dunno:

Clausing tailstocks cost a bloody fortune on eBay. More than I paid for my complete 5903 Clausing lathe.

Strange I texted him yesterday about how heavy the 2 were so I knew what trailer I need to bring . I just sent him a text if he was available Saturday morning and he said "OK " Maybe I shouldn't go alone ?

In my opinion.... Clausing would be my preference just because they are still in business and one can call them for support and parts.
If both machines were similar in size, condition, price and design... I’d go with Clausing because of their support.
That said, Rockwell is a quality machine. But not super popular for getting used parts on eBay. Not like finding the more popular machine parts....new or used.

Back