Good of the Land Fest 2019

vocatexas

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I was wondering if anybody else here made it to Temple for the Good of the Land Fest last weekend. I went and had a good time. It was interesting to meet some of the folks I've been watching on You Tube for the last two or three years. There were some informative presentations as well. I hope they have it within 200 miles of me next year.

I was there, and felt it was worth the drive from Albuquerque. Talked to a lot of interesting people, saw a lot of interesting stuff, and ate some good Texas BBQ Sunday. I was surprised and impressed by the level of support for the raffle prizes. They raffled off a lot $$$ worth of stuff (none of it to me, unfortunately).

Hello Briney. Were you the fellow near Kilroy's station that I had the conversation with?

I didn't get my ticket until the VIP tickets were all gone. I'll bet Sunday was even better than Saturday without the big crowds around.

Probably. I'm about 6'4" and was wearing a "Crested Butte" ball cap. Sunday was good because I had the chance to spend some time with Kilroy (who has subscribed to my YouTube channel) and Quinn. They're both programmers, and they liked my Electronic Leadscrew. Kilroy has a broken quadrant gear in his big Martin lathe, and we had a good discussion about fitting servo motors into the existing gearbox space.

Yes, that was you. I was wearing the cap with the 'Ford' script on it. I really enjoyed our visit.

I was hoping to get to talk to Kilroy more myself, but he stayed busy Saturday. I recently bought a milling machine similar to his and we've been e-mailing back and forth some, but I really wanted to talk to him face to face about it. He's really a great guy. What time I did get to visit with him was enjoyable.

I got to visit a good bit with Mike Wiggins from the Backyard Machine Shop about machine restoration. He's an interesting fellow with a wealth of knowledge on really old machines. All in all, the You Tube creators that I met were all very friendly and seemed to really enjoy being there and meeting their fans. I hope next years' event is close enough for me to make a day-trip out of it so I can do this again. It's difficult for me to be gone more than a day because of my livestock.

I chatted with Wiggins as well. Overall I had the same impressions as you, and will likely make the drive again next year if it's not too far.

I think the only traveling my grandparents ever did was to the local High School's away games, and being in northeast Oklahoma that wasn't far. They always had ten or twenty heifers and a few horses to take care of.

Back